Get Coupon Alerts:

50 Valentine’s Ideas That Won’t Break The Bank

February 6, 2008 by Kyle 22 comments   •   Filed Under

OK guys, we have a little over a week until Valentine’s Day. Still plenty of time to come up with something special for her. I have been working on this list for awhile, many of these ideas I have done personally and my wife loved them. Some are actual ‘things’ and many are special touches that you can do to brighten the day of your special Valentine. Good luck guys, and remember, it is often the thought that counts more than a very expensive necklace with no emotional attachment behind it. Make her feel special and do the unexpected! Here we go, drum roll please:

1. Make her a music mix with songs that remind you of her.
  2. Wash her car and leave a nice note inside.
  3. Leave stick-it notes around the house; write the things you love about her on them.
  4. Organize and clean her bathroom.
  5. Pick up the kids from school and give her some quiet time in the afternoon.
  6. Set up a bubble bath for her with candles and her favorite book.
  7. Do the laundry and put the clothes away.
  8. Clean out and organize the pantry.
  9. Make her breakfast; serve her in bed.
  10. Give her a back massage certificate. You do the massage.
  11. Vacuum the house.
  12. Dust the house.
  13. Do the grocery shopping and make dinner for her.
  14. Surprise her at work with lunch, go for a picnic.
  15. Leave a few love letters around the house.
  16. Play hooky for part of the day and spend time with her.
  17. Wear your silk red boxers and dance for her. (I never did this)
  18. Stop at Starbucks and get her favorite drink.
  19. Open the door for her all day long.
  20. Dinner date? Come to the front door and pretend it is your first date.
  21. Make her favorite dessert.
  22. Get her favorite jewelry cleaned; do it yourself. (not hard)
  23. Flirt with her all day long.
  24. Heat her towel in the dryer and have it ready when she gets out of the shower in the morning.
  25. Paint her toe nails. (Bull Durham anyone?)
  26. Organize the 2 messiest drawers or cupboards in the house that drive her crazy.
  27. Re-enact your first date as close as possible.
  28. Go see a matinee movie together.
  29. Clean out the refrigerator and put her favorite Jamba Juice smoothie inside.
  30. Finish that “honey-do” list that is 6 months old!
  31. Opt for her favorite plant instead of flowers that will have to be thrown out in a few days.
  32. Write her a love poem.
  33. Give her extra time to herself; take the kids to allow this to happen.
  34. Leave her love messages on her cell phone and home phone.
  35. Make her a homemade Valentines Card out of red construction paper.
  36. Rent a movie that you would typically not like, but she would. (Anything with Matthew McConaughey!)
  37. Use red lipstick and write something romantic on the bathroom mirror.
  38. Take her on date and not tell her anything about it. Take her to where you first met. (if possible)
  39. Set up a foot soak for her; play her favorite music while she soaks.
  40. Give the kids a bath and get them in bed by yourself; give her the night off.
  41. Wash the dishes, load the dishwasher, don’t let her lift a finger.
  42. Buy 3 of her favorite magazines and put them by the bathtub with some candles.
  43. Clean the toilets. The one job she hates more than anything else!
  44. Get some paint swatches and offer to paint a room in the house how ever she wants.
  45. Vacuum out her car.
  46. Give her a foot massage.
  47. Fill her car with red and white balloons. Blow them up yourself.
  48. Hide her favorite candy bars around the house. (Don’t hide them really well!)
  49. If she pays the bills, do it for her, and then balance the checkbook.
  50. And last but not least, combine any variation of the above 49. For example, clean the toilet while you are giving her a foot massage. Oh wait, bad example, but you know what I mean! Have fun with it and be creative!

Feel free to add your favorite Valentine’s Day gift ideas!

Comments

22 Responses to “50 Valentine’s Ideas That Won’t Break The Bank”

1. Mrs. Micah on February 6th, 2008 1:48 pm

Lots of great ideas. Are you going to do all 50? ;)

2. Kyle on February 6th, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks Mrs Micah. I got my eye on 3 or 4 this year!

3. Consuela on February 7th, 2008 4:42 pm

Bounced off from Uncommon Cents…

Wow, those are some really cool ideas. I especially like #17! LOL! Would it be okay if I were to borrow this and post it on my own blog; credits to you of course? Thanks :)

Consuela

4. Kyle on February 7th, 2008 6:57 pm

Consuela, of course that would be OK! Thanks for stopping by. And let me know if you want to see pics of my red silk boxers!!! :-)

5. Consuela on February 7th, 2008 7:42 pm

LOL! Sure…why not…and pose sexily now ;P
    And I couldn’t help re-reading the list again…boy #50 just doesn’t sound right…at all….hahahaha

ohh, Happy Chinese New Year! :)

6. Stephanie on February 7th, 2008 7:59 pm

Your wife is a lucky woman! I will be pointing my husband to this list! :)

7. Kaye on February 13th, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks for the help! I have added this postto a list of my Valentine ideas on my blog.

8. Dnaiel on February 14th, 2008 8:40 am

Question: why would you not do many of these any normal day? Do the laundry and put the clothes away. Vacuum, dust the house.

These really only work if you’ve done absolutely nothing for your partner for the last year. Most of these are simple consideration for others and I’d hope one would do these every day without a second thought.

9. Kyle on February 14th, 2008 9:04 am

@ Daniel, if you work like me, it is a time issue. Not enough time in the day. That is not to say I don’t do anything because that is not the case. I make breakfast every morning, fold and put away clothes, vacuum, cook, clean the bathrooms, quite often, especially on weekends. The point of this list is to do the unexpected. If the examples you brought up are not the unexpected in your relationship try #17.

10. Bernard Ng on February 15th, 2008 9:48 pm

I am sticking with a bouquet of flowers!

11. hugowolf on February 24th, 2008 7:06 am

I mean, come on…Does it have to be a special day so that you wash the dishes, give the children a bath or vacuum the car? clean nout the pantry of cook dinner? What men are you anyway? This must be done in a natural manner anot as a “V-gift” …Poor article

12. Kyle on February 24th, 2008 8:36 am

hugowolf, once again the point of the list is to do the unexpected. Lets be real here, not all men do the things you mentioned on a regular basis. If they do, well then find something else on the list that would qualify as unexpected.

13. mger on February 11th, 2009 3:05 pm

Note: when you use the red lipstick to write on the bathroom mirror, DO NOT use HER red lipstick to do this or if you do, buy a new one to replace it with.

14. Joanna on February 11th, 2009 3:17 pm

What’s the word I’m looking for? Oh, yeah… CHEAP. And she’ll know you’re being cheap. Get ready for a major period of cold sulky silence. Do you want to BUY a decent but resonably prices gift now? Or, spend 3, 4, 5 times as much to restore the relationship to the pre-valentine levels? Up to you…

15. Deborah on February 12th, 2009 11:13 am

To those of you who are downgrading these ideas, maybe you haven’t realized that we are in a recession. To the others who say these things should be done every day, get real. Between work, kids and other activities, it is difficult for anyone to consistently do these activities. Especially if one or both people are working hard jusst to make ends meet. I think these are great ideas and real people will be glad to find more economical ways to celebrate this obscure holiday.

16. Danio on February 12th, 2009 11:40 am

I think these are all great ideas. Me and my husband both work and I end up doing the house work when I get off each night. I came home last night and found that he had done the dishes for me. Its a nice surprise because I dont expect him to do that since he works longer harder days than I do. If I were to wake up on vday to a clean bathroom or to the vaccum running it would mean more to me than flowers and chocolates. Its his willingness to help me out, not that he feels guilty so he overpays for some roses.

17. Debra on February 12th, 2009 12:41 pm

Wonderful ideas. Even as a newlywed, I would take any of those over a big, tacky stuffed bear and a box of diet-ruining chocolates any day.
    Another suggestion for your list- make her a sappy powerpoint (complete with “your” song)of your wedding and important stuff that’s happened since then. Guaranteed tearjerker.
    Thanks so much for these suggestions. They work for women to give to men, too!

18. Tony T on February 12th, 2009 2:28 pm

I’m in better shape than I thought ! I can cross about a third of these off as routine “gestures” of appreciation AND affection ! And the better news is she , she appreciates it, and strives to do for me too ! (It’s working for BOTH of us). Will surprise her with a few of your ideas as new, thanks !

19. qarae on February 12th, 2009 2:47 pm

It makes me sad to think that 90% of the items on this list have to be done for your significant other on a special day. Very sad indeed.

20. kassie on February 12th, 2009 4:02 pm

These are awesome ideas. I especially like the one posted in the comments by Debra about making a power point, that is so cool. I’m going to do that one for my man.

Something that might be fun for you guys, you can make a “spa gift certificate” where you are the spa. You give her a massage, you paint her nails, you do her foot soak, you draw up her bubble bath (be waiting with a warm towel when she is ready to get out), you make sure she has some bubbly to drink, you fix her hair, you can do her facial.

You can get all the items needed probably in her bathroom cabinet, but if you want bonus points, you can purchase them from the drugstore or some place nicer like Sephora or Ulta. Just tell the ladies at the counter what you have in mind, they will hook you up. I know Sephora has free samples too.

Good luck guys. Our tradition is dinner the weekend following V-day

21. Ang on February 12th, 2009 4:53 pm

Lovin all the ideas but I am at my wits end on what to do for my boyfriend. I suprise him all the time! Secretly cleaning his house (we don’t live together) detailing his car if I happen to drive it one day, make his fav meals and desserts, sending sweet texts, back rubs.. I could go on. HELP!

22. Alia on February 14th, 2009 9:22 am

Ang- just tell him you love him, and give him a big hug. Nothing fancy. Sometimes, they get so used to the extravagent gestures that it really takes them by surprise when you simply tell them you love them and dont expect them to say it back.

As for myself– I’m going to martyr myself on the altar of V-day romantic gestures and let him pick the movie. >.<