Win a Craftsman Cordless Drill!
Things are gettin’ kinda boring around here so I figured let’s do a contest and mix things up a bit! I have a brand new 18-Volt Craftsman Cordless Drill sitting here on my desk and I want to give it away! I thought of selling it on eBay, but I think this would be a lot more fun. All you have to do is blog about your smartest, dumbest, hardest, or frugalist home improvement project or repair job that you have undertaken. You pick! Why a drill? Well, since a cordless drill has been used in almost every home improvement project I have tackled, it was the obvious choice! The drill has a carrying case, 2 battery packs, a bubble level, a LED worklight, and a bunch of other cool bells and whistles.
Rules are simple:
- Create a post on your blog talking about your smartest, dumbest, hardest, or frugalist (is that even a word?) Home Improvement Project or Repair Job that you have undertaken. Include a link to my homepage, www.rather-be-shopping.com and to this contest page www.rather-be-shopping.com/blog/2008/03/17/drill-contest. Once you have done that, just drop me an email at email@example.com so I can get you entered. This will give you 20 entries.
- Since not everyone has a blog, feel free to leave your story on this page in the ‘Comments’ section. This will give you 1 entry.
- Deadline is tax day, April 15th at 11:59pm EST. Wow, that sounds so professional doesn’t it! I will then draw a winner at random and announce it on my blog. I will also highlight some of the more original, educational, and darn right strange entries. So be creative and have some fun with this. Looking forward to reading your stories and please encourage your readers to join in!
My Home Improvement Project:
To get things started, the hardest home improvement project I ever undertook was also my most frugal. When my wife and I moved into our newly built home over 6 years ago, all the builder did in terms of landscaping, was put in a front yard lawn and a few plants. The backyard was knee high with weeds and poison oak.
I told my wife, “Honey, I can put in the lawn in the backyard.” I will never forget her response, “Really, you can do that?” She was not exactly brimming with confidence in my landscaping abilities.
About a year went by and the poison oak crept closer and closer to our backdoor. Finally, I took the bull by the horns before it invaded the sanctity of our bedroom. Turns out our house was built on a quarry of rocks and clay! The soil is absolutely horrible. I borrowed my father-in-laws rototiller and got to work. But I soon realized I would need new dirt if I ever wanted a root to take hold. So I had a truck and trailer delivery of “loam” brought in. I felt like such a pro using words like loam instead of dirt and aggregate in place of rock! I even started wearing Dickies and t-shirts with several holes in them to feel like a real landscaper. I also got really tan to look the part.
I took that loam, err…dirt, into my fenced backyard by the wheelbarrow load. 827 loads later I had my dirt. Then I had to dig my trenches for the sprinklers. I did this all by hand and 5 years later I still have the callouses to prove it. I then mastered the art of gluing together PVC pipe. Then I planted seed, watered lightly, watered lightly, and watered lightly some more. I saved thousands of dollars by doing it ALL myself! My grass slowly started to grow and it was the coolest feeling to know that I created all of this by myself:
Looking forward to your entries and stories!If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!
Subscribe to Our RSS Feed
- App of the Week: GigWalk
- Does Online Shopping Lead to Debt, Despair, and Ultimately…Suicide?
- The Psychology of Shopping: JCPenney Coupon Case
- App of the Week: Ibotta
- The Most Frugal Man in America?
- Saving Money for Your First Car Purchase
- Infographic: Sex, Money, and Infidelity on Mother’s Day 2013
- Giveaway Time: $100 Amazon.com Gift Card
Most Popular Posts
- 10 Best Ways to Save Money at Costco
- How I Got Out Of Credit Card Debt
- 10 Frugal Tips You Can Use Right Now
- 5 Things I Bought New and Wish I Hadnt
- 5 Best Smartphone Apps For Consumers In Debt
- Frugal Ways To Get In Shape
- My Old Man: Frugal, Cheap, or Just Strange?
- Frugality In Practice: Only Buy What You Can Afford, Please!
- What My Dad Taught Me About Money
Online Coupons Search
Follow The Deals On Facebook!