5 Reasons TLC’s Extreme Couponing is Extremely Lame
My wife tends to be a frugal person by nature, so when we were watching an episode of TLC’s new show ‘Extreme Couponing’ the other night, I found it hilarious when she turned to me and said “I hope you never want me to be like those ladies?” And I said, “Like what? You mean spend all of your free time collecting coupons from every person you know, and then start an underground bunker full of Ibuprofen, hot sauce, and Honey Nut Cheerios? No, please don’t ever be like that.” Do I have anything against using grocery store coupons? Absolutely not, we use them all the time. The difference is we use them on stuff we actually need and will use within a reasonable amount of time. I think balance is the key to a good coupon strategy.
Here are my top 5 reasons TLC’s Extreme Couponing is Lame. Drumroll please….
1 – Unless you start eating all of your free toothpaste, you cannot survive on 50 boxes of Lucky Charms and 12 cases of Gatorade. Well, you probably can survive, but authorities would eventually have to remove a wall of your home to get you out.
2 – It is clearly not a show about saving money as it’s a show about strange addictions. Every episode I have seen involves a lady at the checkout register with an adrenaline rush second only to a heroine addiction.
3 – If you don’t actually need it, it does not matter what it costs. The show really goes against the idea of frugal living. Which is strange because I always equate using coupons as a solid aspect of the frugal lifestyle.
4 – Don’t empty my shelves! If I ever go to my local grocery store and my favorite hot sauce and headache medicine is gone, I’m going to be screaming mad! Meatloaf on Celebrity Apprentice mad.
5 – What about online coupons? Ya know, there are other ways to save with coupons other than the 3-foot wide coupon binder. Try Rather-Be-Shopping.com for example. Yes, this is indeed a shameless plug.
Have you ever seen the show? What is your take?
Subscribe to Our RSS Feed
- Store Spotlight: How to Save Serious Cash at Lands’ End
- Top 10 Father’s Day Coupons for 2013
- Blog Spotlight: 10 Questions With Adrienne of Adrienne Smith.net
- App of the Week: GasBuddy
- Blog Spotlight: 10 Questions With Eric of DollarVersity
- 5 Ways Men Shop Differently Than Women
- App of the Week: Triposo
- Infographic: Breaking Up With Debt
Most Popular Posts
- 10 Best Ways to Save Money at Costco
- How I Got Out Of Credit Card Debt
- 10 Frugal Tips You Can Use Right Now
- 5 Things I Bought New and Wish I Hadnt
- 5 Best Smartphone Apps For Consumers In Debt
- Frugal Ways To Get In Shape
- My Old Man: Frugal, Cheap, or Just Strange?
- Frugality In Practice: Only Buy What You Can Afford, Please!
- What My Dad Taught Me About Money
Online Coupons Search
Follow The Deals On Facebook!