Tips To NOT Overspend in 2013 + a $100 Cash Giveaway
I am proud to be a part of a fun personal finance blog project and giveaway organized by Jeffrey over at Savings Advice.com. The theme of this giveaway is the “No Spending Challenge”. It can definitely be a challenge to not overspend. As I have already documented, I have a huge Weakness For Bright and Shiny Gadgets which makes it especially tough for me. I swear they just call out my name and slowly reach in my pocket for my credit card. With that in mind here are a couple tips to avoid overspending on stuff you really don’t need, followed by the easy entry form to win $100 cash via PayPal. Make sure to get yourself entered…
Freeze the Dam Things
The tip of freezing your credit cards in a huge block of ice was first introduced to me back in 2007 by Lynnae at Being Frugal.net. This may seem silly and childish, but if you are in a position where you can’t afford to add any more expenses to your credit card balances, freezing your cards is not so silly. For many, it is a necessity. The key here is to make sure you freeze them in enough water that you can’t read the numbers. By going without your credit cards you force your brain to re-think how you spend money. The Take-Away: By the time you defrost the dam things the impulse to buy will have worn off.
Enforce A Cool-Down Period
The next time you’re brain is telling you “I need this, I need this NOW” try this technique. Make your brain think about something else for a 10-minute cool down period. Read a magazine, do jumping jacks, mow the lawn, stare at sun, whatever, just do something other than think about the product you want to buy. The Take-Away: If you can get through the 10 minute period the impulse to buy will have hopefully subsided.
Have you tried either of these techniques? If so, were they successful? I look forward to your comments. Now go win yourself $100 bucks!
- My Best Finance Tip for 2013 + a $100 Cash Giveaway
- A Tip To Rebuild Good Credit
- 10 Tips For Debt Reduction
- Are Credit Cards Really The Problem?
- Giveaway: Win a $50 Target Gift Card, Just Gotta “Like” Us to Enter
- Christmas Shopping Giveaway: Win a $75 Walmart Gift Card, Just Gotta “Like” Rather-Be-Shopping.com & Share to Enter
Subscribe to Our RSS Feed
- App of the Week: Triposo
- Infographic: Breaking Up With Debt
- Blog Spotlight: 10 Questions With Kathleen of Frugal Portland
- Frugal Hack #10: Lessons from Warren Buffett
- App of the Week: GigWalk
- Does Online Shopping Lead to Debt, Despair, and Ultimately…Suicide?
- The Psychology of Shopping: JCPenney Coupon Case
- App of the Week: Ibotta
Most Popular Posts
- 10 Best Ways to Save Money at Costco
- How I Got Out Of Credit Card Debt
- 10 Frugal Tips You Can Use Right Now
- 5 Things I Bought New and Wish I Hadnt
- 5 Best Smartphone Apps For Consumers In Debt
- Frugal Ways To Get In Shape
- My Old Man: Frugal, Cheap, or Just Strange?
- Frugality In Practice: Only Buy What You Can Afford, Please!
- What My Dad Taught Me About Money
Online Coupons Search
Follow The Deals On Facebook!