Financial Troubles in California – A Business Owner’s Perspective
Having been a business owner in California for over 10 years, I have something burning in my craw. I’ve wanted to write this post for a while and today is as good a day as any. If you do nothing else today, watch the first 1 minute and 15 seconds of this interview with the Governor of California, Jerry Brown.
California apparently does not want successful people to live here.
Just ask Phil Mickelson. Because of this, prospective and current business owners alike are fleeing California by the truck load to never return. I can’t say that I blame them. After all, according to Jerry Brown they are simply “blessed the most” and have done nothing but disproportionately extract, by whatever skill, more and more from the national wealth. WOW!
Is that what Steve Jobs did? Is that what Larry Ellison has done? Did they not work hard to earn their success? Is their story not the American dream?
According to Governor Brown, they simply extracted money disproportionately from the national wealth, which is made to sound like they took it unfairly. So apparently there is a proportion which is OK, but if you go beyond that limit, you somehow scammed the system with your mad “skills”.
So why did I write this? I wrote this because I worry this type of thinking is going to cause Californians to NOT start new businesses and stifle business growth. Why use your creative minds and “skills” to come up with amazing new products and services if the state government is going to look at you like a scam artist and tax the hell out of you because of it.
It also worries me this type of thinking may be spreading to other states as well. This could be very well be the undoing of this great country that I love so much.
Thoughts? I rarely get political on my blog because it can cause huge derision, but in this case, I felt it was worth the risk.
I look forward to your comments.
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!
Subscribe to Our RSS Feed
- Infographic: Breaking Up With Debt
- Blog Spotlight: 10 Questions With Kathleen of Frugal Portland
- Frugal Hack #10: Lessons from Warren Buffett
- App of the Week: GigWalk
- Does Online Shopping Lead to Debt, Despair, and Ultimately…Suicide?
- The Psychology of Shopping: JCPenney Coupon Case
- App of the Week: Ibotta
- The Most Frugal Man in America?
Most Popular Posts
- 10 Best Ways to Save Money at Costco
- How I Got Out Of Credit Card Debt
- 10 Frugal Tips You Can Use Right Now
- 5 Things I Bought New and Wish I Hadnt
- 5 Best Smartphone Apps For Consumers In Debt
- Frugal Ways To Get In Shape
- My Old Man: Frugal, Cheap, or Just Strange?
- Frugality In Practice: Only Buy What You Can Afford, Please!
- What My Dad Taught Me About Money
Online Coupons Search
Follow The Deals On Facebook!