Veteran & Military Discounts: 80+ Places Where Heroes Get (Almost) What They DeserveMay 29, 2014 by Kyle 102 comments • Filed Under Consumer News, Discounts
On the heels of Memorial Day, I figured it was time to research which retail stores, restaurants, entertainment spots, and travel services offer a discount to veterans and active military personnel. Why this list is relatively small is kinda a head scratcher for me. You’d think darn everybody would offer a discount of some type for those who keep us save, and more importantly, free. I will definitely keep adding to this list as I find new discounts for veterans and active duty military. I hope that you find this list to be a useful and money saving resource.
Restaurant Discounts for Military & Veterans
- Bennigan’s: Active military and vets get 10% off your total check at Bennigan’s.
- Ben & Jerry’s: Ask about it the next time you order a scoop of ice cream. Varies by location but is typically 15%.
- Burger King: 10% off military discount, just show proper ID.
- Chevy’s: 20% discount for active, retired, or uniformed personnel. Find the details here.
- CiCi’s Pizza: A large majority of CiCi’s locations offer a military discounts, ask about it.
- Dairy Queen: Get a 10% off your food and ice cream at select Diary Queen locations. Must have valid military ID.
- Denny’s: 10% discount to first responders which includes active military. Just show your military ID and ask for it.
- Famous Dave’s BBQ: All active and retired military can get a 10% discount. Just ask your server for your discount.
- Fuddruckers Burgers: Show your server your military ID and get a discount of either 10% or 15% off.
- Golden Corral: Flash your military ID and get 10% off your bill every time you dine.
- Hard Rock Cafe: Get a slick 15% off discount when you show your military ID.
- Hooter’s: Varies by location but most Hooter’s will give a flat 15% off discount to active and retired military personnel. Often times the discount is only available on certain nights.
- IHOP: 10% off your entire meal when you show your military ID to your IHOP server.
- Lone Star Steakhouse: 15% off discount for military, police, and fire fighters every Monday. The cool thing is the discount is good for the entire table.
- Panda Express: 10% military discount for active personnel. Just flash your ID before ordering your tasty grub.
- Papa Murphy’s: Thanks to reader Sara for this one! They offers $3.00 off each regular priced pizza for Military ID card holders. Not valid with other discounts.
- Pizza Hut: Discount amount varies by location but always ask and have your military ID at the ready.
- Texas De Brazil: Get 15% off your meal total with your military ID.
- Texas Roadhouse: Get up to 20% off your bill total with your active military ID. Discount varies by location, ask your server.
“Go Have Fun” Discounts for Military & Veterans
- AMC Theaters: After 4 p.m. flash your military ID and get a much deserved discount on movie tickets.
- Baseball Hall of Fame: Free admission year-round for active and retired military.
- Busch Gardens (Tampa, FL) : Under the “Waves of Honor” program all active duty military are entitled to a free 1-day admission. Also good for up to 3 family members.
- Carnival Cruise Line: From reader Randall, “All cruise lines owned by Carnival (Carnival, Princess, Cunard, P&O. etc.) offer free onboard credit for military service, current or past. Just fax them a copy of discharge papers, and you get credit on any cruise you take with them.”
- Camp Jellystone: Get up to 20% off campsites, cabins, and more across the country. Must show valid military ID. Details here.
- Cinemark Theaters: Check this list to see all of the participating Cinemark theaters across the country.
- Disneyland: Ask for details but active and retired military heroes will receive Disneyland park hotel discounts as well as a 3-day park hopper for only $129.
- Dollywood: Active duty members of the Armed Forces receive a 10% discount on their cabin rental.
- Knott’s Berry Farm: Free entry on Memorial Day weekend at Knott’s Berry Farm and substantial discounts the rest of the year. Details can be found here.
- Legoland: 10% military discount at the California Legoland. Military appreciation days at the Florida location gets active and retired vets in the park for free with discounts for family members.
- Regal Cinemas: Regal Cinema military discounts varies by location. Inquire at your local theater.
- San Diego Zoo: Free 1-day pass to the San Diego Zoo for those who are on active military duty.
- SeaWorld: Via the Waves of Honor program, “any U.S. active duty military, activated or drilling reservist, or National Guardsman gets one complimentary admission per year.”
- Six Flags: Check out the website BaseOps.net and collect discounted tickets to all Six Flags properties.
- Universal Studios: Military discounts at Universal Studios are available when you visit the BaseOps website as well.
- U.S. National Parks: Free annual pass to all National Parks in the United States.
Retail Discounts for Military & Veterans
- Advance Auto Parts: According to their website they “offer 10% off regularly priced items for in-store purchases to customers who serve or have served our country’s Armed Services.”
- American Eagle Outfitters: Show your military ID and get 10% off your in-store purchase at AEO.
- Apple Store: Thanks to reader James for the scoop on the Apple Store “Big one that’s missing here is the Apple Store. Just ask for a Federal employee discount and show your CAC card. Works for me all the time.”
- Auto Accessories Garage.com: They offer 5-20% off to veterans and active military members plus their families. Details here.
- AutoZone: 10% off your purchase. Thanks to a reader for letting me know about this one.
- Banana Republic Factory Store: They offer a flat 10% off for veterans every day of the year.
- Bed Bath & Beyond: Flat 10% off discounts for vets and their families. Varies from store to store.
- Bass Pro Shops: Bass Pro Shops will give you a 10% discount with your military ID.
- Best Buy: Varies from store to store, but many retail locations offer a 10% discount to vets. Just ask a Best Buy sales associate about it.
- Big Lots: Be sure to shop on Tuesdays and take advantage of their military discount.
- Buckle: The Buckle military discount requires online verification. Once verified, you’ll get 10% off all purchases.
- Cabela’s: 5% military discount except on firearms at your local Cabela’s.
- Charlotte Russe: 10% discount with ID. Thanks to reader Katie for letting me know about this one.
- Dell Computers: Dell offers a variety of military programs. Check this page for all the details and learn how to save some money on your next computer system.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: The next time you are shopping at Dick’s, ask about their 10% discount for vets. Varies from store to store.
- Eddie Bauer: Eddie Bauer offers a 10% discount for active and retired military personnel.
- Footaction: Vets and active military can save an awesome 20% off w/ proper ID. Family members can get the discount as well.
- Home Depot: All year long military personnel, active or retired, can get a 10% discount at the Home Depot. Just gotta ask for it and show proof.
- Kelly’s Auto Parts: Thanks to Zee for this one. Kelly’s offers a 10% discount all the time for all vets and active service members.
- Lowe’s: Thanks to a couple vets for setting me straight on Lowe’s. They will give a flat military discount of 10% to all active and retired military personnel. For all other vets they give a discount on Veteran’s Day, 4th of July, and Memorial Day. It is also worth noting, from the Lowe’s website, that “immediate family member(s) of someone with a valid military ID Card” is also eligible for the 10% discount.
- Michaels: Show your military ID at Michaels and get a flat 10% off. I have read of some exclusions that vary from store to store so ask a sales associate at Michaels.
- Nike Store: Nike offers a 10% in-store discount to vets, active service, as well as those in the reserves. Their families too.
- Old Navy: Keep and eye out and ask about Military Monday’s at Old Navy where active and retired military personnel get a 10-15% discount.
- O’Reilly Auto Parts: According to the their website, they offer an “in-store only” discount of 10-15% off with valid ID.
- Payless Shoes: Shop at any of their retail locations and get a 10% military discount. Just show your ID and collect your savings.
- Pottery Barn: Most Pottery Barn locations offer a 10% discount for vets.
- Radio Shack: Thanks to reader Dawn for letting me know about the Radio Shack military discount. They’ll give a flat 10% discount to active and retired military.
- Sports Authority: Turns out Sports Authority also offers a discount. Thanks to reader Jason for this one. “Stopped in this weekend and was granted a 10% discount with proof of Active or Veteran status.” Thanks for your service Jason.
- Walgreens: Varies from store to store, but most Walgreens offer a military discount, be sure to ask.
- Williams-Sonoma: Flat 10% discount with proper ID or proof of service.
- Zales Jewelry: 10% off discount for active and retired military.
Travel Discounts for Military & Veterans
- Alamo Rent a Car: Discounted rates for military families and free rental insurance and waived fees for military personnel.
- Amtrak: Active military and their families get a 10% discount on train tickets with Amtrak.
- Best Western: Discounted room rates at Best Western hotels for active military. Present ID at check-in or when reserving via the phone.
- Choice Hotels: Discounted room rates for active military and their families. Ask about it when reserving your room.
- DoubleTree by Hilton: Get 15% off the popular Bed & Breakfast rate when booking your room. Details here.
- Greyhound: Ride the hound for 10% off all walk up fares. Good for active military and vets. Also, the most you’ll ever pay is $259 for a round-trip anywhere in the United States.
- Hampton Inn: Book a room at any Hampton Inn and they’ll give you a flat 15% discount on your reservation. Works for retired and active military and their families.
- Hertz: Free car upgrades from Hertz for military folks and their families.
- La Quinta Hotels: Several vets have chimed in and let me know that La Quinta offers a 12% discount on room reservations. Ask about it.
- Marriott Hotels: When booking your room mention the military discount and you’ll get inundated with special offers.
- Norwegian Cruise Lines: Save 10% off specific cruises for active military, veterans, and their families.
- U.S. Airways: From their website, “Special rates to military personnel traveling on an officially excused absence and to discharged personnel within 7 days of discharge.” Pretty cool, I wish more airlines would do something similar.
Banking Discounts for Military & Veterans
- American Express: AMEX waives ALL fees for active duty military, including the annual fees on all of their cards. AMEX Platinum? $0 instead of $450. Thanks Heath for this one!
- Chase Bank: Thanks to Jim, a veteran, for this one. “Show your ID or in my case discharge papers at any Chase branch when opening a checking/savings account and get the Premiere package for free (Normally $25 a month) which includes a fee free safety deposit box, debit visa and many goodies.” Thanks for your service to this country Jim.
- U.S. Bank: Thank to Tony for this one, “US Bank gives all active duty & veterans free Premiere checking & savings with ID or DD214.”
Wireless Discounts for Military & Veterans
- AT&T Wireless: From the AT&T website, veterans and active military can get 15% off “qualified monthly service charges”. Just follow the directions on their site to get your discount.
- Sprint Wireless: Get 15% off your monthly bill by showing evidence of your service. Details here.
- T-Mobile Wireless: TMo will happily give active and retired military 15% off their monthly bill. It might take a while according to this thread, just be persistent!
- Verizon Wireless: From vet Jim, “It’s either 10 or 15% (at Verizon). Active duty, retired and veterans. I took my DD-214 to the local Verizon store and they submitted the information. It took about a month. Saves my about $20 per month on my bill.”
Ask the Reader: Do you know of any other veteran or active military discounts? Let me know in the comments below and I’ll be sure to get it added to this article. Thanks!
By Kyle James
- Senior Discounts: 65+ Places Where Older (Yet Wiser) Folks Can Get a Discount
- Calling All Teachers: 50+ Places Where Educators Get a Teacher Discount
- Looking for Work? Know These 60+ Employee Discounts
- Calling All Students: 50+ Places Where Students Get a Sweet Student Discount
- Talk Your Way to a Deal: How to Negotiate at These Major Retailers
- 13 Unusual (Yet Awesome) Places to Find a Coupon