As you probably remember, the chicken project at our house had an untimely demise but we are a very resilient bunch out here in the country.
So it should come as no great surprise that we have moved on from poultry to the next barnyard animal, pygmy goats! It all started when we went to our local pumpkin patch this past Sunday to buy some ridiculously expensive orange squash.
At said pumpkin patch they also had a petting zoo, armed with an industrial size Purell dispenser and various barnyard animals, including goats. When my wife and kids saw the goats their wheels immediately started turning.
After a quick Craigslist search on my iPhone, and a couple phone calls, the plan was put into action. In other words, within two hours of the original idea, I had two possibly pregnant pygmy goats bouncing around in the back of my truck, pooping incessantly I might add.
Meet Rosie and Petunia…
Other than bragging about having goats, which clearly is HUGE, there actually is a point to this post today. And that is the fact that pygmy goats just may be the BEST PET EVER, and here is why:
- They are small and can’t reach any of the fruit on our fruit trees.
- They are small and don’t eat much.
- They are small and so is their poop.
- They are small and can easily be led on a leash by my 2 daughters (6 and 9 years old).
- They make very little, if any, noise and are quite happy to follow you around looking for a handout.
- They are goats which means they eat EVERYTHING, including poison oak which I have plenty of on my 3 acres.
Oh, and yes, you read correctly when I mentioned that both goats might be pregnant. I’ll know for sure in a few months, let me know if I can reserve one of the kids for ya. 😉 I really hope they are preggers as my nine year old is soooo excited about the possibility of helping Rosie give birth. That should be a really interesting conversation. I’ll keep ya updated.
Ask the Reader: What is the most unusual pet you have ever owned? How did it work out?
By Kyle James