(Updated 9/06/19) With the Amazon Prime Membership going up from $99 to $119 it has many consumers pondering whether it’s worth the annual cost. If you are on the fence, this article will probably sway you to stay away from the Prime membership and shop elsewhere and get the same price or better. To help you achieve this, below are 14 popular stores that will happily match the price at Amazon.com and in many cases will also ship it to you for free. A few of these do NOT advertise openly that they match Amazon pricing…I had to do a little digging to discover some stores that price match Amazon.
I could not find any evidence on the Abt Electronics website that they price matched Amazon.com so I fired up a Live Chat session and asked. Here is what I discovered:
- First of all, I found a 32″ Samsung Smart TV on Abt that was $30 bucks more than what Amazon was selling it for.
- My live chat operator, Nick, was a little vague when I asked if they price matched Amazon.com. But I pushed him on it and he said that they do indeed price match Amazon.com as they are considered an authorized dealer.
- Not only would Abt match the price, but they would ship it out to me for FREE. Well done Abt Electronics!
Babies R Us
If you’re shopping for a baby on the way, or one already stealing our hearts, you’ll want to take advantage of the Babies R Us price match policy. Here are the details…
- They will indeed price match Amazon.com pricing, but it needs to be in-store purchases only.
- It must be the identical item, brand, and size.
- You can only price match 2 of the same exact item.
- Does NOT include Amazon.com marketplace pricing.
- In addition to Amazon, they will price match the following websites: Walmart.com, Target.com, BestBuy.com, Sears.com, Kmart.com, buybuyBaby.com, Meijer.com, FredMeyer.com, Diapers.com, BabyDepot.com, and LEGO.com.
Bed Bath & Beyond
The next time you’re shopping at your local Bed Bath & Beyond and doing some price comparison shopping via your smartphone, be sure to check the Amazon.com app first as BB&B will price match Amazon. Here is what you need to know:
- The items must be the exact same model, brand, and make.
- Item cannot be on sale and must be in-stock.
- Just present you smartphone or tablet with the Amazon.com price and an associate will gladly do a price adjustment for you.
- Also, many Bed Bath & Beyond locations will allow you to use their famous “20% off any 1 item” coupon in addition to the Amazon price match. Winning!
Best Buy was one of the first retailers to price match Amazon.com. Here is the skinny…
- The Best Buy price match policy is limited to one price match per identical item, per guest.
- Just talk to a store associate or visit the customer service desk to get your price match request taken care of.
- Again, the best way to match the Amazon.com price is by using your smartphone to do a quick price comparison.
- In addition to Amazon, they will price match the following websites: Apple.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, Frys.com, hhgregg.com, HP.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, Newegg.com, OfficeDepot.com, OfficeMax.com, Rakuten.com Shopping, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, TigerDirect.com and Walmart.com.
- They will also match prices post purchase if they lower their price within 15 days of your purchase. Always keep your receipt.
Dick’s Sporting Goods
Dick’s Sporting Goods is the most recent big-box store to start price matching Amazon. Here’s what you need to know…
- The product must be an identical match meaning the same brand, model number, color, and size.
- Item must be sold by Amazon directly and not a 3rd party seller.
- Won’t work on items that are part of special daily or hourly sales at Dick’s Sporting Goods.
Another sound alternative to Amazon.com, especially when buying consumer electronics and computers, is Fry’s. This is especially true since they instituted their “Fry’s Will Not Be Beat!” price match policy. Here are the nuts and bolts:
- They’ll happily price match Amazon.com pricing, but only in store, not at Fry’s.com.
- Offer good on all brand new, unopened products of the same exact model with same warranty.
- You also have 15 days to bring your receipt back in if you find the item cheaper at Amazon.com in that window of time. Be sure to bring in evidence of the lower Amazon price.
- Price match policy does not work on old or expired ads or seasonal sales.
Home Depot will price match Amazon.com but they will not beat their price by 10%. Here are the details:
- From the Home Depot website, “Online purchases are subject to price match only.”
- The item must be completely identical and currently in-stock at both Home Depot and Amazon.com.
- Also, does not apply to special orders or open box merchandise.
- Just take evidence of the lower price to the customer service desk to get your price adjustment.
Since the above stated price match policy at J&R Electronics doesn’t say anything specific about Amazon.com, I decided to give them a call and dig a little deeper. Here is what I discovered:
- I found a Sony Cybershot 20MP digital camera for sale at both retailers. Only difference was Amazon had it for $118 and J&R had it for $129.
- So I explain this to the customer service rep and she asks if I can hold for a minute so she can verify the price. I say, “Of course,” and she comes back quickly and says “Yes, we can match that price and give you free shipping.”
- So the answer is “YES!” – J&R will match the pricing at Amazon.com and give you free shipping to boot. Who needs Amazon Prime? Not I!
Lowe’s Home Improvement
The Lowe’s website does not say anything specifically about price matching Amazon.com, only local competitors. So I called Lowe’s customer service and here is what I discovered:
- I found the perfect product to test. It was an American Standard faucet selling for $225 at Lowe’s and $196 at Amazon. $30 bucks cheaper…definitely worth the effort.
- I called and asked the Lowe’s rep, “Do you guys price match Amazon.com pricing?” She immediately said, “If it’s the same exact model, absolutely!”
- I then said, “Yes, it is the same exact faucet and you guys sell it for $30 bucks more than Amazon.”
- She said, “Just print out the product page from Amazon.com and bring it in to your local Lowe’s and head to the customer service desk and they’ll take care of it.”
- She made sure to stipulate that you can’t price match with Amazon.com on online purchases, has to be in-store.
- If you find an identical item at Amazon.com which is priced lowered than NewEgg, you can request a price adjustment. Simply request a price adjustment HERE.
- This is applicable at time of purchase and up to 14 days after you make your purchase.
- NewEgg also stipulates that the price will not include any Amazon Prime membership free shipping benefits.
- The item must be identical, including model number, color, etc.
- Limit 1 price match per guest. Just take evidence of the lower Amazon.com price, via smartphone or print it out at home, and show it to an employee and they’ll get you taken care of.
Staples clearly hit the “easy button” and is the only large office supply store that will price match Amazon.com. Here is the skinny.
- Staples in one of the only online retailers in the U.S. that will price match Amazon.com at both their brick & mortar stores and via their website.
- The item must be identical with same model number and warranty.
- Keep your receipt! You have up to 14 days after your purchase to take advantage of a price match.
- Amazon is by no means the only online retailer they will price match. They’ll also match the price at these sites: Best Buy, Costco, Dell, Hewlett Packard, Office Depot, Office Max, Quill, Medical Arts Press, Reliable, Sam’s Club, Walmart, WB Mason and Xerox.
The price match policy at Target has been including Amazon pricing for quite some time now. Here is how it breaks down.
- If you find a better price at Amazon.com, they’ll match it only if they carry the same exact product.
- Can’t price match clearance items, closeout products, or refurbished stuff.
- They have a limit of 1 online price match per item, per shopper.
- Once you find a cheaper item at Amazon, just bring in evidence on your tablet or smartphone. You can also bring in a printed copy detailing the item and the price at Amazon.com.
- Target does not limit online price matching to Amazon.com. They’ll also price match items from Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com, and BabiesRUs.com, and over 25 other websites.
Walmart will price match Amazon in certain situations.
- Walmart will only give you an online price match via Walmart.com. Instructions here.
- Exclusions include the following: Clearance, Special buy, special event pricing, and prices shown from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday.
- See: How To Score an Elusive Walmart “Online” Price Match
Ask the Reader: When was the last time you requested a price match? What store were you at and how much money did you save?
By Kyle James