(Updated 6/14/17) I was totally blown away with the number of senior discounts I found when researching this article. Many of these discounts only require a valid ID showing your age. Some do require you to show your AARP membership card. For only $16 bucks a year, joining AARP is going to save you a ton of money on travel, entertainment, and at retail stores. Click HERE for a list of all the benefits of an AARP membership as well as information on how to join.
Here is a list of over 70 well deserved senior discounts. Almost all of these are going to require you to ask for the discount. Never count on an employee offering it you, be sure to be proactive and ask. I will keep adding new discounts as I find them!
Restaurant Discounts for Seniors
- Applebee’s: Many locations will offer those 55+ anything from 5% to 15% off your bill total. Just ask about it when dining.
- Ben & Jerry’s: If you can show proof of being over 60 they will give you 10% off your order.
- Boston Market: You have to be a little older at Boston Market to get a deal. 65 is the magic age to get 10% off your meal. Also check our Boston Market coupons page to find a printable coupon to save even more.
- Bubba Gump’s: Score a 10% discount on chow and drinks when you flash your AARP card.
- Burger King: Most BK locations have a senior discount. They range from a discounted drink to 10% off your meal. Ask about it. Check our site for a printable Burger King coupon as well.
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill: Show proof of a valid AARP membership and get a cool 20% taken off your check.
- Chick-fil-A: If you are 55 or older you can usually get 10% off your meal if you ask.
- Chili’s: I love me some Chili’s! I wish I was older than 55 because older diners can score a 10% discount.
- Dairy Queen: Get a frozen treat for 10% off if you’re older than 60.
- Denny’s: Show your server your AARP card and get 20% reduced from your total bill at Denny’s. No AARP card? You can still get 10% off. We are also given 20% off printable coupons for Denny’s as well.
- Dunkin’ Donuts: Show them your AARP card and get a free doughnut with your cup of freshly brewed coffee. They have REALLY good coffee by the way. Can’t beat that!
- Golden Corral: If you are 55+ most locations will give you a 10% discount on your dinner bill.
- Jack in the Box: According to a thread at Snopes.com you can get a senior discount up to 20% off just by asking. Must be 55 or older.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken: Get a free icy beverage with your meal purchase if you’re 55 or older.
- Krispy Kreme: The age is low at KK, only 50. Score 10% off if you’re at least a half-century old.
- Long John Silver: Discount varies by location if you’re 55+, make sure to ASK!
- McDonald’s: Get discounted coffee everyday of the week. Must be 55+
- Outback Steakhouse: Monday through Thursday you can show your server your AARP card and get 15% off your check, minus alcohol. This will also work on weekend lunch service hours.
- Papa John’s Pizza: Just visit PapaJohns.com and enter coupon code “AARP25” and get a cool 25% off all regular priced menu items.
- Sonic Drive-In: 10% discount or a free drink if you can prove to be at least 60 years of age.
- Subway: This one was a pleasant surprise, 10% off your meal when 60 or older.
- Sweet Tomatoes: I have never heard of them but of you’re 62+ you can get 10% off your bill total. 62, really?
- Taco Bell: If you’re 65 or older, you can get a 5% discount, or you can opt for a free drink.
- TCBY: I love this place and if you’re 55+ you can get your next treat for 10% off.
- Waffle House: Every Monday you can get your meal for 10% off, must be 60 or older.
- Wendy’s: If you are 55+ you can get a burger for 10% off. Actually works on everything, not just burgers.
- White Castle: If you’re 62+ you can go get some tiny burgers for 10% less than the general population.
“Go Have Fun” Discounts for Seniors
- AMC Theaters: Save up to 30% off tickets for seniors aged 55 or older.
- Busch Gardens (Tampa, FL) : 50+ get a $3 discount on a 1-day pass.
- Cinemark Theaters: Save up to 35% off. Varies by theater.
- Regal Cinemas: 30% off tickets if you are 55 or older.
- Seaworld Orlando: 50+ get a $3 discount on a 1-day pass.
- United States National Parks: Seniors aged 62+ get a lifetime pass for only $10.
Retail Discounts for Seniors
- Banana Republic: You only have to be over the age of 50 to get a senior discount at Banana Republic. Also, check our Banana Republic coupons page to use a coupon on top of your senior discount.
- Bealls: For those aged 55+ shop on the first Tuesday of each month and save 20% off.
- CJ Banks: Save 10% off every Wednesday. Must be 60 or older.
- Dress Barn: For ladies aged 55 or older shop and save 10% off your entire purchase. Don’t forget to look for a Dress Barn coupon as well.
- Goodwill: One day per week, seniors can save 10% off. Day depends on location.
- Hancock Fabrics: On the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month seniors aged 55 or older can get a flat 15% off their entire purchase in-store.
- Joann Fabrics: Usually on a Wednesday every 3 months they have a “Senior Day” which gives those 60+ 20% off their entire purchase. They advertise it in their emails as well as on their website. Check Rather-Be-Shopping.com for a Joann Fabrics coupon and you can easily stack your savings.
- Lens Crafters: According to their website AARP members can get 30% off prescription sunglasses and eyeglasses.
- Kohl’s: According to Kohl’s.com, seniors can shop every Wednesday and save 15% off. Be prepared to show your ID proving your 60 or older.
- Michaels: I read differing opinions about Michaels so I decided to call them and get the scoop. They do indeed offer a senior discount for those 55 or older and it’s a flat discount of 10% off all regular and sale merchandise. Be sure to throw a coupon for Michaels on top of your order for even more savings. Details Here
- Modell’s Sporting Goods: I heard rumors of Modell’s offering a senior discount so I called to verify and sure enough they offer a senior discount. It is 10% off when you show ID that you’re 65+. In-store only. We typically also have a Modell’s coupon or two to help you save as well.
- Rite Aid: I called my local Rite Aid and was told to come in and sign up for their Wellness65+ program which entitles seniors aged 65 or older a 20% discount on the 1st Wednesday of every month. Check for a Rite Aid coupon too.
- Ross: I also called Ross and they told me that every Tuesday, if you’re 55 or older, you can save an extra 10%.
- Walgreens: Take advantage of Seniors Savings Days and get a 20% discount. Must be 55+ and an AARP member. Take advantage of one of our Walgreens coupons as well for additional savings.
Travel Discounts for Seniors
- Alaska Airlines: Get 10% off airline tickets for travelers 65 or older.
- Alamo Rent a Car: AARP members can save up to 25% off their next rental car.
- American Airlines: Assorted deals for seniors aged 65+. Ask about them when making your reservations at 800-433-7300.
- Amtrak: Hit the rails and save 15% off all travel. Must be 62 or older.
- Avis: The same as Alamo, AARP members can save up to 25% off their next rental car.
- Best Western: Save 10% off your next room if you’re 55 or older.
- Budget Rent a Car: 10% off or save 20% off if you are a AARP member.
- Clarion Motels: Save up to 30% off your next room if you are 60+.
- Comfort Inn: Save up 20-30% off your next room if you are aged 60+.
- Econo Lodge: Save up 20-30% off your next room if you are aged 60+.
- Enterpricse Rent-A-Car: 5% off for those who hold a AARP membership.
- Greyhound Bus: Hit the road with Greyhound and save 5% on your ticket if you are 62 or older.
- Hampton Inn: Get 10% off your booking when booked at least 72 hours in advance of your arrival.
- Hertz: AARP members can save up to 25% off their next car.
- Holiday Inn: Those aged 62+ can save up to 20% off your next hotel room.
- Hyatt Hotels: Ask when booking as you can save up to 50% off when 62+.
- Marriott Hotels: 15% off if you’re 62 or older.
- Motel 6: 10% off your next room when 60 or older.
- Quality Inn: Save 20-30% off your next room if you are aged 60+.
- Rodeway Inn: Save 20-30% off your next room if you are aged 60+.
- Southwest Airlines: Check the SWA website for details on getting senior airfare rates.
- United Airlines: According to the United website, seniors aged 65+ can save on airfare. Ask when booking your travel.
Ask the Reader: Where else can a senior score a well deserved discount? Let me know in the comments below and I’ll be sure to get it added to this resource. Thanks!
By Kyle James