(Updated 11/09/17) Black Friday at Walmart is always a big event and this year is no different. Here is everything you need to know to save money plus a few insider hacks to save even more. Also, I’ll be adding the Walmart Black Friday ad as soon as I get my hands on it. Hope it helps you navigate the craziness at Wally World this year.
When Does Walmart Open on Black Friday?
They’re open for 24 hours on Black Friday.
So expect the doors to be open at midnight. They’ll actually already be unlocked as Walmart opens on Thanksgiving, which brings us to our next question…
Are They Open on Thanksgiving Too?
Yes, like it or not, Walmart will be open on Thanksgiving again in 2017.
Specifically, the doors will swing open at 6pm on Thanksgiving night.
But you can shop on Walmart.com all day long on Thanksgiving.
2017 Walmart Black Friday Ad
Tips and Hacks to Save at Walmart on Black Friday:
- Plan Ahead: Scour the Black Friday ad and figure out which products you want to buy. If you show up at Walmart without knowing what you want you’ll probably end up paying full-price.
- Develop a Strategy: Know where in the store the products you want are located so you don’t waste any time wandering around.
- Know What’s Available Online: A few years ago, stores realized they should make most of their Black Friday deals available on their website. Walmart is no exception. As a rule of thumb, only the deals on the front and back cover of the Walmart Black Friday ad will require you to visit the store to buy. Almost everything else will be available online.
- Can’t Price Match on Black Friday: Don’t waste your time trying to get a price match at Walmart as they don’t allow any between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday. This includes price-matching the Walmart website.
- Arm Your Phone with the Amazon App: Amazon beats many Walmart prices on Black Friday. Because of this, always use the Amazon app when standing in the aisle at Walmart to make sure you can’t get it cheaper from the online retail giant.
I’ll add new hacks as I discover them. Let me know in the comments section if you have any tips you want to share.
What Types of Deals Can We Expect?
Here’s how each category breaks down for Walmart on Black Friday 2017.
- The Season’s Hottest Toys and Games including an exclusive Hatchimals Golden Lynx Egg for $49.88 (special buy), Frozen Sleigh 12-Volt Ride-On for $198 ($100 savings), Tickle Me Elmo for $15 ($9.84 savings), Hover-1 Freedom Hoverboard for $148 (special buy) and popular board games like CLUE and Connect 4 for $4.88 and Pie Face!, Monopoly and Simon for $9.88.
- Smart Televisions like an LG 49-inch Class 4K Smart TV for $328 (special buy), an Element 39-inch Class Smart TV for $125 (special buy) and a Samsung 65-inch Class Curved 4K Smart TV for $998 ($300 savings)
- Streaming and Speaker Devices ranging from a VIZIO 32-inch 5.1 Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer for $139 (special buy) to a Google Chromecast for $20 ($15 savings) with a $5 Vudu credit.
- Hot Video Game Consoles including the Nintendo Switch Console with Neon Blue and Neon Red Joy-Con Controllers for $299, PlayStation 4 1TB Console for $199 ($100 savings) and Xbox One X Console for $499.
- Smart Home Gadgets like the Google Home Mini for $29 ($20 savings) with a $25 shopping offer***, a Night Owl 4-Camera HD Security System Kit for $150 (special buy) and a Netgear Orbi AC2200 Tri-Band Whole Home Wi-Fi System for $199 ($80 savings)
- Laptops and Tablets such as the HP Stream Laptop for $179 ($40 savings), Samsung Chromebook 3 for $119 ($70 savings) and iPad 5th Gen 32GB for $249 ($80 savings)
- Top titles for film fanatics and gamers, totaling more than 700 DVDs and Blu-ray movies starting at $1.96 and more than 100 video games starting at $9.
- Wireless deals including Bluetooth speakers like the JBL Flip 3 for $55 (special buy), Fitbit Alta HR Small Bundle or Fitbit Charge 2 Large Bundle for $99 (both a $50 savings) and Tzumi Pop Solo Karaoke Microphone and Bluetooth Speaker for $7 ($7.96 savings)
- Drones and Virtual Reality like the Yuneec Breeze Drone for $199 ($100 savings), an exclusive Promark Shadow Drone with GPS for $99 ($80 savings), ONN Mobile VR Headset for $5 ($4.88 savings) and Merge Cube for $9 ($5.97 savings)
- Smartphones such as the iPhone 6 32 GB on Straight Talk Wireless**** for $129 ($70 savings), the iPhone SE 32GB on Walmart Family Mobile for $99 ($30 savings) and the Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro on Straight Talk Wireless**** for $49 ($100 savings)
- Sleepwear for the Family including boys’ and girls’ licensed character sleepwear starting at $4.75 (special buy), plush sleep pants for women at $4.50 (special buy), men’s graphic fleece sleep pants for $6 (special buy) and cozy slippers for the family starting at $4.75.
- Home Stylings offers include $9.88 kitchen appliances like a Farberware Griddle and Crock-Pot 5-Quart Slow Cooker, as well as Walmart’s exclusive 30-Piece Cookware Set for $94 from The Pioneer Woman (special buy). Additional home items include Hotel Style 1,100 Thread Count Sheet Set for $24 (special buy), Character 5-Piece Twin Bed-in-Bag for $25 (special buy) and Dyson DC59 Stick Vacuum for $189 (special buy)
- Beyond the Basics such as a Protégé 5-Piece Luggage Set for $48 (special buy), Ozark Trail 4-Person Instant Tent for $38 (special buy), Masterbuilt 30-inch Digital Electric Smoker for $99 (special buy), Stanley 2-Drawer Tool Chest with 100-Piece Black Chrome Mechanics Tool Set for $49 (special buy) and Projection Light Show for $8.87 (special buy)
- Select online-only deals include a Straight Talk Samsung GS6 for $149.99 ($150 savings), a Samsung 65-inch Class 4K HDTV for $847.99 ($450 savings) and a SoundTouch 30 WIFI speaker for $449 ($50 savings).
Next year we might see a 40″ LED HDTV for less than $100 which would be kinda crazy.
Ask the Reader: What Walmart Black Friday deals are you hoping for this year?
By Kyle James
Photo credit to Mike Mozart.