Are you looking for a Costco membership discount? Maybe you’re on the fence about dropping $60 for a basic Costco membership and need some incentive to take the plunge. Well, if you live in Mexico or near the border, or are planning a vacation to Mexico in the near future, I have a great way for you to save money. All thanks on this Costco hack goes to loyal reader Dorothy. Thanks Dorothy! Now let’s break it down….
Costco Membership Discount:
Gold Membership in Mexico Costs Only 500 Pesos
In case you don’t have a currency calculator handy, 500 pesos equates to about $26 USD.
So if it all possible consider buying a MX Costco membership to save money.
And YES you can use a Mexico Costco membership at ANY Costco location in the United States or Canada.
So if you live southern California, Arizona, New Mexico or Texas this is worth knowing.
Especially if you live in a border town and can easily visit a Costco warehouse across the border.
Also, perhaps you’re actually moving to Mexico in the near future. Don’t renew your Costco membership until you get there.
Is a MX Costco Membership the Same as the U.S. Version?
While the most important features are the same, there are definitely some difference worth knowing about.
Here are a few things your Costco membership from Mexico CAN’T do….
– Can’t Track Purchase History – You won’t be able to track your Costco purchases with a membership from Mexico as they don’t keep track of them in their computer system.
So just be sure to hold on to those receipts and it’s a non-issue.
– Can’t Get Costco Gas – You can’t buy Costco gas in the U.S. with a MX membership.
– Can’t Use Costco Travel – A MX membership will also exclude you from using the Costco travel service.
– Can Be a Hassle at Checkout – I was also told that when using a MX membership in the U.S. (or Canada) the cashier will have to get approval from a manager before taking your money.
– Hard to Make Account Changes – This may be the biggest drawback. If you lose your card, you can only get a new one at a Costco location within Mexico.
Also, when it’s time to renew your membership you can’t do it at a U.S. Costco location, it’s gotta be done in Mexico.
While this Costco hack is not for everyone, it’s still worth sharing with y’all.
This is especially true if you’re heading to the southern border in the near future.
Ask the Reader: Do you have any experience using this hack to score a Costco membership discount? If so, was it worth the effort?
By Kyle James
Photo credit to Mike Mozart.