Are you considering dropping Amazon Prime as you can’t justify the annual $119 fee? If so, you found the right article. Turns out MANY retailers will happily match the lower Amazon price and provide free shipping as well. In other words, who needs Amazon? Sure you won’t get some of the cool Prime perks but you can get their low prices on certain items by asking for a price match at these stores. Some of the stores below will even beat the Amazon price by up to 10%. Let’s get to it shall we.
I could not find any evidence on the Abt Electronics website that they price matched Amazon.com so I fired up a Live Chat session and asked. Here is what I discovered:
- First of all, I found a 32″ Samsung Smart TV on Abt that was $30 bucks more than what Amazon was selling it for.
- My live chat operator, Nick, was a little vague when I asked if they price matched Amazon.com. But I pushed him on it and he said that they do indeed price match Amazon as they are considered an authorized dealer.
- Not only would Abt match the price, but they would ship it out to me for FREE. Well done Abt Electronics!
Not only will Academy Sports match the Amazon price but they’ll beat it by 5%.
- When shopping in-store, show them the lower Amazon price at checkout via your smartphone and they’ll make the adjustment.
- When shopping online, you can call them at 1(888) 922-2336 or start a live chat and tell them about the lower price.
- They also give you 14 days after your purchase to get a price match if you notice a lower price on Amazon.
Bed Bath & Beyond
The next time you’re shopping at your local Bed Bath & Beyond and doing some price comparison shopping via your smartphone, be sure to check the Amazon.com app first as BB&B will price match Amazon. Here is what you need to know:
- The items must be the exact same model, brand, and make.
- Item cannot be on sale and must be in-stock.
- Just present you smartphone or tablet with the Amazon.com price and an associate will gladly do a price adjustment for you.
- Also, many Bed Bath & Beyond locations will allow you to use their famous “20% off any 1 item” coupon in addition to the Amazon price match. Winning!
Best Buy was one of the first retailers to price match Amazon.com. Here is the skinny…
- The Best Buy price match policy is limited to one price match per identical item, per guest.
- Just talk to a store associate or visit the customer service desk to get your price match request taken care of.
- Again, the best way to match the Amazon price is by using your smartphone to do a quick price comparison.
- In addition to Amazon, they will also price match the following 4 websites: Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, HP.com and TigerDirect.com.
- They will also match prices post purchase if they lower their price within 15 days of your purchase. Always keep your receipt.
Dick’s Sporting Goods
Dick’s Sporting Goods is the most recent big-box store to start price matching Amazon. Here’s what you need to know…
- The product must be an identical match meaning the same brand, model number, color, and size.
- Item must be sold by Amazon directly and not a 3rd party seller.
- Won’t work on items that are part of special daily or hourly sales at Dick’s Sporting Goods.
A smart alternative to Amazon, especially when buying consumer electronics and computers, is Fry’s. This is especially true since after instituted their “Fry’s Will Not Be Beat!” price match policy. Here are the nuts and bolts:
- They’ll happily price match Amazon pricing, both in-store and at Fry’s.com.
- Not only will Fry’s match the Amazon price, but they’ll beat it by 10%.
- Offer good on all brand new, unopened products of the same exact model with same warranty.
- Fry’s gives you 30 days to bring your receipt back in if you find the item cheaper at Amazon. Be sure to bring in evidence of the lower Amazon price.
- Their price match policy does not work on expired ads or seasonal sales.
- In addition to Amazon, Fry’s will also price match these sites: Bhphotovideo.com, Dell.com, HP.com, and Newegg.com.
- Call Fry’s at (408) 350-1484 to request an online price match.
Golf Galaxy is determined not to be undersold, to this end they happily price match Amazon.
- Not only will Golf Galaxy price match Amazon at the time of purchase, but up to 30 days after the sale.
- Just show them the lower price on your smartphone and they’ll hook you up.
- They won’t price match clearance items, promotions, or 3rd party Amazon sellers.
Home Depot will price match Amazon, but they will not beat their price by 10%. Here are the details:
- From the Home Depot website, “Online purchases are subject to price match only.”
- The item must be completely identical and currently in-stock at both Home Depot and Amazon.com.
- Also, does not apply to special orders or open box merchandise.
- Just take evidence of the lower price to the customer service desk to get your price adjustment.
Hats off to JCPenney as they are one of the only retailers on this list who explicitly say they price match Amazon. No beating around the bush, I like it. Here’s how their Lowest Price Guarantee works.
- JCP happily price matches Amazon and beats their price by 5%, but items must be sold directly by Amazon and not 3rd party sellers.
- You can get the Amazon price for up to 14 days after your purchase date, just come back in and show an employee the lower price on your smartphone.
- For an online price match you need to call JCP at 1-(800) 322-1189 and they’ll help you get your savings.
- You can get this price match in every state except Alaska and Puerto Rico.
The Lowe’s website does not say anything specifically about price matching Amazon.com, only local competitors. So I called Lowe’s customer service and here is what I discovered:
- I found the perfect product to test. It was an American Standard faucet selling for $225 at Lowe’s and $196 at Amazon. $30 bucks cheaper…definitely worth the effort.
- I called and asked the Lowe’s rep, “Do you guys price match Amazon.com pricing?” She immediately said, “If it’s the same exact model, absolutely.”
- I then said, “Yes, it is the same exact faucet and you guys sell it for $30 bucks more than Amazon.”
- She said, “Just print out the product page from Amazon and bring it in to your local Lowe’s and head to the customer service desk and they’ll take care of it.”
- She made sure to stipulate that you can’t price match with Amazon on online purchases, has to be in-store.
NewEgg.com has a well defined price match policy which includes Amazon pricing. They call it their Iron Egg Price Guarantee. Here are the nuts & bolts:
- If you find an identical item at Amazon.com which is priced lowered than NewEgg, you can request a price adjustment. Simply request a price adjustment HERE.
- This is applicable at time of purchase and up to 14 days after you make your purchase.
- NewEgg also stipulates that the price will not include ANY Amazon Prime free shipping benefits.
Office Depot will price match any item that is sold and shipped by Amazon.com, excluding Amazon Marketplace items and 3rd party sellers.
- The item must be identical, including model number, color, etc.
- Limit 1 price match per guest. Just take evidence of the lower Amazon.com price, via smartphone or print it out at home, and show it to an employee and they’ll get verify the price match and get you your savings.
- In addition to Amazon, they will also price match Staples, Target, Walmart, and Best Buy.
Staples clearly hit the “easy button” and will definitely price match Amazon.
- Staples will only price match Amazon at one of their brick & mortar locations.
- The item must be identical with same model number and warranty.
- Keep your receipt! You have up to 14 days after your purchase to take advantage of a price match.
- Like all other retailers in this article, they will not price match items sold by 3rd party Amazon sellers.
The price match policy at Target has been including Amazon pricing for quite some time now. Here is how it breaks down.
- If you find a better price at Amazon.com, they’ll match it only if they carry the same exact product.
- Can’t price match clearance items, closeout products, or refurbished stuff.
- They have a limit of 1 online price match per item, per shopper.
- Once you find a cheaper item at Amazon, just bring in evidence on your tablet or smartphone. You can also bring in a printed copy detailing the item and the price at Amazon.com.
- Target does not limit online price matching to Amazon. They’ll also price match items from Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, Costco.com, and SamsClub.com, and over 25 other websites.
Walmart will price match Amazon but only in certain situations. Here’s what you need to know.
- Walmart will only give you an online price match via Walmart.com. Instructions here.
- Exclusions include the following: Clearance, Special buy, special event pricing, and prices shown from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday.
- For more details click here: How To Score an Elusive Walmart “Online” Price Match
Ask the Reader: Have you ever used Amazon pricing to get a price match? If so, what store were you at and how much did you save?
Note: This post was originally written back in 2014 (wow, I’m old) but I recently spent some time and refreshed it as it contained very outdated information and even some retailers that went out of business years ago. The comments are dated but I’ll leave them for old times’ sake. I hope you still find the information useful.
By Kyle James