As we head toward the deals and coupons of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I wanted to take this opportunity to highlight some things that are actually going to be a better buy before the big shopping weekend. Stuff that either doesn’t excite frantic turkey stuffed shoppers or always just seems to be on sale in early to mid November. See if you can take advantage of any of these deals this year and perhaps cross some names of your gift buying list at a MAJOR discount.
During the first couple weeks of November we always see an influx of deals on winter apparel on Rather-Be-Shopping, much better deals and coupons then you’ll find on Black Friday. Retailers tend to try and sell older Fall inventory on BF and offer some screaming deals to entice shoppers. But they seem to hold back on offering the awesome deals (ie, 40% off or better) on “in-season” jackets, boots, coats, winter sweaters, etc. So I’d definitely shop for winter apparel now rather than waiting for Black Friday.
Key stores to check: Lands’ End, American Eagle, Old Navy, and GAP.
Cookware and houseware retailers realize many consumers will be shopping for pots and pans in preparation of Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts. The crew here at Rather-Be-Shopping.com has noticed this translates into some great deals and coupons on new cooking sets making it a great time of year to buy. Essentially you kill two birds with one stone, you get a new cookware set or piece and you also get to blow the socks off your guests with your turkey, stuffing, and gravy. Speaking of gravy, I really love gravy. Smother anything with gravy and I think I could eat it.
Key stores to check: Cooking.com, Crate & Barrel.com, Walmart.com and Cost Plus World Market.com.
Candy! Candy! Candy!
My wife can attest to this one. She always stocks up on Halloween candy in early November as it’s really cheap because stores need clear it out. As a matter of fact, we still have some Halloween Hershey Kisses in our freezer from last year. By the way, have you ever had a frozen Snickers? One of my absolute favorites. Just make sure you have strong teeth before you crunch down or you might be heading to the dentist.
Key stores to check: Walmart.com, Target.com, and Walgreens.com.
November is a great time to buy furniture as new styles and fabrics tend to come out around Christmas so stores are trying to clear out last season’s models. Cost Plus World Market, for example, is selling all furniture at 25% off the original price with a coupon code. Also, JCPenney.com is having their biggest furniture sale of the year offering products at up to 50% off the original price. Both of these deals expire well before Black Friday weekend.
Key stores to check: Kohl’s.com, JCPenney, Cost Plus, Sears.com
Don’t wait for Black Friday thinking car lots will be offering great deals as well. 2014 models are being cleared out right now and the longer you wait, the less inventory you’ll find to shop from. If you head out on Black Friday weekend you’ll likely end up with the full-priced 2015 model as your only option.
Laptops (Not the Budget Variety)
Historically, budget, err….cheap, laptops are one of the hottest items on Black Friday and that doesn’t stand to change this year. If anything, budget laptop deals will be better than ever this Black Friday. Early word has some pretty incredible deals surfacing. But what if you are looking for a laptop that has stronger specs and won’t be obsolete in a few short weeks. High end systems will not be on sale on Black Friday, so you’ll want to look for a deal now. For example, we just got a coupon from Dell.com for $510 off the Inspiron-15 7000 touch laptop with the Intel Core i7 processor, 8GB memory, 1TB hard drive + FREE Shipping.
Key stores to check: BestBuy.com, Dell.com and J&R.com.
Many stores didn’t sell their inventory of patio furniture back when the temperature was 102 degrees, so now they are slashing prices to make room for fake Christmas trees and a blow-up Frosty the Snowman. Their loss is your gain. At my local Home Depot I saw a 8-piece patio set that normally sells for $699 marked down to an incredible $199. If I didn’t already have some patio furniture I would have been all over it like white on rice. By the time Black Friday rolls around most of the great deals will be gone, buyer beware.
Key stores to check: Home Depot.com, Lowe’s.com, and OSH.com.
The wedding season is over and dress retailers need to clear out last season’s styles to make room for the new. If you are planning a wedding for this winter or next spring right now is the perfect time to buy your wedding dress. November is by far the best month to buy your dress and deals up to 75% off are available. Look for demand (and prices) to go back up in January as many couples get engaged around the holidays.
Key stores to check: David’s Bridal.com, The Knot.com, and House of Brides.com.
Many media outlets say to wait until closer to Christmas (after Black Friday) to find the best deals on toys. For the most part, they are correct. Our research, however, has actually found that the best deals are from the beginning of November until Cyber Monday. In years past, coupons are better and site-wide toy sales are better in early November than in December. Why you ask? Retailers are in the driver seat as we get closer to Christmas and won’t be offering many sales as they have a captive toy buying audience.
Key stores to check: Walmart.com, Target.com, BestBuy.com, and Amazon.com.
By Kyle James
So it was big news earlier this week when Target made the strategic decision to offer free shipping on ALL orders this holiday season. Perhaps they are trying to spread some good will after their huge data breach earlier this year. In any case, it gave me the idea for this article, so thanks Target! I went out and did the painstaking research (not really) to find other online retailers that offer free shipping with no minimum purchase required. Check back to this list often as I will be constantly updating it with new information.
Which Popular Online Retailers Offer Free Shipping on ALL orders:
I plan to update this list as I discover new online retailers offering free shipping on your entire order. No minimum purchase required. No coupon code to hunt down (for the most part). So if you know of a retailer offering free shipping that is not on my list, be sure to Contact Me so I can investigate and get it added. Thanks! Here we go, in alphabetical order…
- 6PM Shoes – 6PM offers free 3-5 day standard shipping on all orders, regardless of size or value.
- 7 For All Mankind – Free FedEx Ground shipping (5-7 business days) on all orders at 7 For All Mankind.
- Accessory Geeks.com – Their free shipping option is USPS First Class. Just select that option when checking out and you’ll get your package delivered for free in 2-9 business days.
- Amazon.com – So Amazon is a little more complicated. It breaks down like this: Free 2-day shipping for Amazon Prime members. Not a Prime member? Then you get free shipping (5-8 business days) on all orders over $35.
- Ashford.com – Free USPS Ground shipping (5-7 days) on all online purchases at Ashford.
- Auto Anything.com – Auto Anything offers free Standard Shipping (3-5 business days) on 99% of their products.
- Barneys New York – Barneys offers free USPS Ground (3-6 business days) on all online purchases.
- Beach Camera.com – From their website, “Free ground shipping is available to home addresses in the contiguous United States.”
- Blinds.com – Free shipping via FedEx or UPS on all blind orders under 94″.
- Blindsgalore.com – Free shipping on all blind orders under 100″ to the contiguous United States.
- Blue Nile Jewelry – Free FedEx shipping on every order within the U.S. and to 43 international countries.
- Bonobos.com – Free shipping and free returns on your men’s apparel order.
- Columbia Sportswear – Free shipping through 12/31/14 with code S12FREESHIP.
- Delia’s.com – Free standard shipping through 11/25/14 with coupon code DHMSHIP.
- FragranceNet.com – Free standard shipping (2-8 business days) on all orders within the 48 contiguous states.
- FreshPair.com – Free standard USPS shipping (6-9 business days) on all Freshpair orders.
- Ice Jewelry.com – Free USPS 1st class shipping on your entire online order.
- Lacoste.com – Free shipping and free returns to the lower 48 states.
- Linens n Things.com – Free standard shipping (7-10 business days) within the 48 contiguous United States.
- LL Bean.com – Orders shipped to the U.S. and Canada will automatically get free shipping (2-5 business days).
- Lucy Activewear – Free 7-10 business day shipping on all orders at Lucy.com.
- Luggage Guy.com – Free shipping on all luggage orders via FedEx Ground within the contiguous United States.
- Kate Spade.com – Free 3-6 business day standard shipping or orders submitted by 2pm EST.
- Musician’s Friend – From their website, “Free Standard Ground Shipping is offered on all orders to the 48 contiguous U.S. states & District of Columbia, excluding purchase orders and packages considered heavy or oversized by the applicable carrier.”
- Neiman Marcus – Free standard shipping and free returns on all online orders.
- Netaya.com – Free standard shipping on all of your jewelry orders at Netaya.com.
- Nordstrom.com – Free standard shipping (3-6 business days) on all orders including to Hawaii and Alaska. Nordstrom will also let you return items for free if you don’t like them for any reasons.
- Office Furniture.com – Free delivery on ALL orders, no matter the size, which is pretty impressive. From their website, “For items that are too large to ship via UPS or FedEx, free tailgate delivery is included.”
- Online Shoes.com – Free UPS Ground shipping on all orders with the 48 states. Expect delivery to take between 3-5 business days.
- PacSun.com – Use coupon code PSFREESHIP and get free shipping on your entire order through 11/19.
- Perfume.com – Use coupon code P777 and get free shipping on your entire order through 12/31.
- Piperlime.com – Free shipping (7-9 business days) and free returns on all online orders.
- Reebok.com – Free ground shipping (3-5 business days) on your entire online purchase at Reebok.
- Road Runner Sports.com – Use coupon code CX13J027 to get free shipping through 12/31/14.
- ShoeMall.com – Free standard shipping (7-10 business days) on all orders at Shoe Mall.com.
- Shoebuy.com – Free UPS Ground Shipping on all orders with free returns as well.
- Shoes.com – Free ground shipping (5-7 business days) on all orders as well as free returns within 60 days of your original purchase.
- Smart Bargains.com – Free USPS shipping on all orders. Smart Bargains claims most items will be on your doorstep in 2-4 days.
- Smashbox Cosmetics – Free standard shipping (5-7 days), free returns and free samples with every online order.
- Steve Madden.com – Free shipping on your entire order with code ENJOY through 11/30/14.
- Sunglass Hut.com – Free UPS Ground (3-7 business days) on all online orders at Sunglass hut.
- Super Jeweler.com – They offer free shipping to every continent in the world. Pretty cool.
- Target.com – The newest addition to this list. Target offers free standard shipping (3-5 days) on every online order through 12/20.
- The Bouqs.com – They offer flower bouquets for a flat $40 and that includes free shipping.
- UGG Australia.com – Free shipping and free returns on all orders via UPS Ground.
- Wolferman’s – Use coupon code FREEFSD for free shipping on all order through 12/31/14.
- World of Watches.com – Free standard shipping and free returns if you are not satisfied with your purchase for any reason.
- Zappos.com – One of the original websites to offer free shipping, Zappos will ship your order for free and let you return it for free as well. Expect your package to arrive within 4-5 business days.
Bonus: Popular Retailers Offering Free Shipping on $50 or less
- Alibris Books – Free shipping $49+. 3-5 day ground shipping.
- American Eagle Outfitters.com – Free standard shipping on $50+. UPS Ground.
- Apple Store.com – Free standard shipping on your $50+ order, 5-7 business days.
- Athleta.com – Free shipping on $50+. 7-9 business day ground shipping.
- Auto Parts Warehouse – Free shipping on $50+
- Babies R Us.com – Free shipping on $49+. Economy shipping, 6-9 business days.
- Banana Republic.com – Free shipping on $50+. 7-9 business day ground shipping.
- Bargain Outfitters.com – Use coupon code BH495 for free shipping on $49+ through 12/31
- Barnes & Noble – Free shipping on $25+. Standard delivery, 3-7 business days.
- Best Buy.com – Free shipping on $35+. Standard shipping, 3-7 business days.
- Campmor.com – Free shipping on $50+
- Charlotte Russe.com – Free shipping on $50+
- Claire’s.com – Free shipping on $35+
- Cooking.com – Free shipping on $40+
- Dick’s Sporting Goods - Free shipping on $49+
- Eddie Bauer – Free shipping on $49+ with coupon code FESTIVE through 12/21.
- Fredrick’s of Hollywood – Free shipping on $25+
- Gamestop.com – Free shipping on $25+ with coupon code SAVER through 12/31.
- GAP.com – Free shipping on $50+. 7-9 business day ground shipping.
- Guitar Center.com – Free shipping on $49+
- Hatley.com – Free shipping on $50+
- Hollister.com – Free shipping on $50+
- Kiehl’s.com – Free shipping on $50+
- Lands’ End.com – Free shipping on $50+. UPS Ground with a delivery of 2-5 business days once shipped.
- Lowe’s.com – Free shipping on $49+. Free parcel shipping with 1-3 delivery days once shipped.
- Melissa & Doug – Get free shipping on $50+ with code FREESHIPFIFTY through 12/31
- Moosejaw.com – Free shipping on $49+
- Movies Unlimited.com – Free shipping on $50+. Economy shipping, 5-10 business days.
- Office Max/Depot – Free shipping on $50+
- Old Navy.com – Free shipping on $50+. 7-9 business day ground shipping.
- PacSun.com – Free shipping on $30+
- Perfumania.com – Free shipping on $50+
- Personal Creations.com – Free shipping on $49+
- Petco.com – Free shipping on $49+
- Pet Food Direct.com – Free shipping on $49+
- Red Envelope.com – Free shipping on $49+
- REI.com – Free shipping on $50+. Standard shipping of 5-7 business days.
- Rightstart.com – Free shipping on $49+
- Sephora.com – Free shipping on $50+
- Skin Store.com – Free shipping on $49+
- Sports Authority.com – Free shipping on $49+. UPS Ground, 3-6 business days.
- Staples.com – Free shipping on $49.99+. UPS Ground shipping, 5-7 business days.
- Tool King.com – Free shipping on $25+
- Toys R Us.com – Free shipping on $49+. Economy shipping, 6-9 business days.
- Under Armour.com – Free shipping on $45+
- Urban Outfitters.com – Free shipping on $50+
- Walmart.com – Free shipping on $50+. Value shipping, 6-9 business days.
- West Marine.com – Free shipping on $49+
- Wet Seal.com – Free shipping on $50+
Ask the Reader: How big of an influence is free shipping when you’re shopping online? Just make sure you are also looking for a coupon code and not settling for only free shipping.
By Kyle James
Black Friday is dead.
There, I said it, and the earth amazingly continues to revolve around the sun. OK, there are some exceptions when it does makes sense to make a purchase on Black Friday. But these exceptions are becoming fewer and fewer every year. As a general rule, I am a huge advocate of Christmas shopping all year long as it allows you to only buy when you find a screaming deal. Then when [...] Continue Reading…
OK, so I figured it was time to come up with some highly practical ways to use my Crack the Price Tag Code resource to help you save money on your Holiday and Christmas shopping this year. I have had many emails from folks trying to figure out how to best use my info when shopping. In other words, what products and gifts provide the best value when cracking the code. So it is [...] Continue Reading…
As a Dad to three “Trick or Treaters” I know how expensive it can be to outfit them with costumes and accessories. Then you may want to buy some Halloween decorations for the house…there is another chunk of change. So with this in mind, I put together this article to document a bunch of great Halloween coupons we have been given so far. I know we will get a bunch more in the next [...] Continue Reading…
As we head into Fall, many retailers are trying to roll out Summer and seasonal merchandise, as well as make room for new models, creating some great deals on certain products. Here are the 10 best deals to be had right now.
When it comes to large appliances like washers, dryers, refrigerators, and dishwashers, October is a great time to buy. Manufacturers always unveil new models in the winter, making October the key month to unload [...] Continue Reading…
So this Frugal Hack comes from a new reader here at Rather-Be-Shopping.com (who also happens to be a distant relative), which is WAY cool. Long story short, she scored a pair of $85 Silver brand jeans at Macy’s for $4.99!
So how the heck did she do it?
She was shopping at her local Macy’s and well, why don’t I just let her explain it in her own words…
“Wanted to let you know of a great deal I scored [...] Continue Reading…
Have you ever been shopping online and thought to yourself how cool it would be to get those shoes, jeans, blender, (or whatever it might be) sent to your home for free so you could try them on and check them out in person? Then if they didn’t fit, or you didn’t like it for whatever reason, you could return them for free? How cool would that be. Well, today I’m here to tell [...] Continue Reading…
Are you looking for work? Maybe a part-time job while you go to school, or perhaps something seasonal for the holiday shopping season. Part of your decision on where to apply could very well hinge on what kind of employee discount the retailer hands out. After all, if you like the store enough to regularly buy stuff from them, you stand a good chance of actually enjoying working there. I was pretty darn impressed [...] Continue Reading…
There is no doubt that the Apple iPhone 6 looks like a pretty amazing smartphone, especially the 6 Plus. Some pretty cool features for sure, especially the big ol’ screen and Apple Pay. Although, I have some news for you Apple loyalists, my new Android MotoX has had that feature for quite some time, it’s called Google Wallet and it’s pretty darn cool.
But anyways, if you consider yourself an early tech adopter, and plan to get [...] Continue Reading…