(Updated 5/22/17) Do you dislike shopping at Walmart, but love their low prices? If you fall into this large, and quickly growing, group of consumers this article is for you. What if I told you that you could stay out of Walmart altogether and still take advantage of their low prices? Well, by getting a Walmart price-match, you can easily do exactly that. Here are the popular retailers that will happily match the low prices at Walmart.
3 Keys to Your Success:
- Download the Free Walmart Smartphone App (iOS, Android): Download this app and use it to quickly see what Walmart is selling the item for, and if applicable, use that pricing information to get your price-match at one of the retailers listed below. The app is very easy to use and lets you scan the item’s barcode and instantly shows the Walmart price. While some retailers will want to see a printed Walmart ad showing the lower price, the majority will accept the price on the Walmart app, especially if you’re polite.
- Save Time In-Store When Asking for a Price-Match: Many “on the floor” employees are either not equipped to give you a price match, or simply aren’t familiar with their own store’s policy. This is why I always recommend heading straight to the customer service/relations desk, typically located in the front of the store. These are the employees that can help you with your price match quickly and efficiently.
- Save Those Receipts (Especially on Large Purchases): Always hold on to your receipt as many of the retailers below will give you a Walmart price-match days, or even weeks, after your original purchase. While it’s too time consuming to constantly check for a Walmart price drop on smaller purchases, it definitely makes sense on larger purchases like electronics, laptops, sporting goods, and home appliances. Without your receipt in-hand, you’re going to be out-of-luck when trying to go back to the store to get your price adjustment.
All the Stores that Will Price Match Walmart:
Babies R Us/Toys R Us
- Simply show an employee the lower Walmart price via an actual ad (with valid dates) or via your smartphone with Walmart’s website or app displayed.
- They will also price-match the online pricing from Walmart.com.
- Price match is given at time of purchase or within 7 days of your original Toys R Us/Babies R Us purchase.
- When two or more of the same item are purchased, the match will be limited to only two of those items.
The Best Buy Price Match Guarantee absolutely includes matching the price at your local Walmart. Here is what you need to know.
- The Walmart has to be within a 25-mile radius of your local Best Buy location in order to get a price-match.
- The best way to show proof of the lower price is to bring in Walmart’s current ad, or show them the price on Walmart.com via your phone.
- They reserve the right to call the local Walmart and verify the price independently.
- Product must be identical, and in-stock, in order to get the lower Walmart price.
- You cannot use a Best Buy coupon on top of a price match.
Bed Bath & Beyond
Bed Bath & Beyond will also give you the lower Walmart price on identical items.
- The item must be first quality, in-stock, and must have an identical model number.
- Just show the lower Walmart price to a sales associate on your smartphone or bring in the current Walmart ad.
- Bonus Tip: You can also stack a manufacturer coupon on top of a Walmart price match for additional savings.
Dick’s Sporting Goods
I was happy to see that Dick’s now has a price match policy in place and it includes Walmart. You no longer have to shop at Walmart for the lowest prices on sporting goods. Here is the skinny at Dick’s.
- The item must be identical, this includes the brand and model number.
- Just bring in the Walmart ad, or evidence on your smartphone, at the time of purchase and show it to a store associate.
- Exclusions: Rebates, coupons, bonus offers, gift card offers, clearance, including closeouts and used items, limited-quantity or out of stock items, prices advertised only as a percent off or dollar off, services or another retailer’s pricing error.
- Unlike their coupon offerings, I was happy to see that they don’t have a long list of brands which are excluded from a price match.
When buying electronics and appliances, hhgregg will price match Walmart pricing. Here is how to make it happen.
- Price match can only be given at the time of the original purchase.
- Item must be identical and in-stock at booth hhgregg and your local Walmart.
- Simply show evidence to a store associate and they’ll hook you up.
- They also match the price at Walmart.com making it easy to show a store associate the lower price on your smartphone.
Here is how to get a Walmart price match at the Home Depot.
- Not only will the Home Depot price-match Walmart, but they’ll beat their price by 10%.
- Show evidence of the lower Walmart price at the customer service desk at the front of the warehouse.
- Item must be in-stock, and only works on the regular retail price at Walmart.
- Exclusions to be aware of: Special orders, bid pricing, volume discounts, open-box merchandise, labor and installation, sales tax, rebate and free offers, typographical errors and online purchases.
- If they won’t do the price match, at least find a Home Depot coupon to save some money.
Look to price match kitchen and home items at your local JCPenney as they have many of the same items as Walmart.
- JCPenney will match Walmart pricing on identical items. This is defined as the same brand, style, color, quantity, size, model number, weight, etc.
- Bring in a print-out or advertisement showing the lower Walmart price. Smartphone versions may also be used but will be independently verified before they give you the lower price.
- Exclusions: Sephora, Salon, Optical, Portrait or Custom Decorating. If the items aren’t identical and they refuse the price match, be sure to use a JCPenney printable coupon to bring the price down.
Kohl’s will gladly match Walmart pricing on specific items. Here are the details.
- Kohl’s will only match the in-store pricing at Walmart. They will not match Walmart.com.
- Item must be identical to the product sold at Kohl’s.
- Unfortunately, there is a long list of exclusions. Big ones include Nike, Levi’s, Acer, Netgear, Canon, Samsung, and Fitbit.
- Always check out our Kohl’s coupons as well and try to stack one on top of your purchase.
Lowe’s Home Improvement
The Lowe’s price-match policy is quite similar to The Home Depot’s. Here are the details.
- Just bring in evidence of the lower Walmart price via their ad or from your smartphone.
- Not only will Lowe’s beat Walmart’s price, but they’ll beat it by a cool 10%.
- They limit the number of items in your purchase that you can get a price-match on to what they term “reasonable quantities”.
- If you have any questions about the vagueness of “reasonable quantities” you should call and speak to them directly at 1-877-465-6937.
- Exclusions: Installation labor, closeout pricing, special order, discontinued, clearance, liquidation or damaged items.
Buried deep on the Michaels Terms and Condition page is their in-store price match policy which includes Walmart. Here’s what you need to know to make it happen.
- While you traditional think of Joann, Hobby Lobby, and AC Moore when price matching at Michaels, Walmart does indeed have many identical products worth price-matching.
- Simply present a Walmart ad or evidence of a lower Walmart price via a mobile device to a store associate.
- The lower price must be available at your local Walmart location and not solely available at Walmart.com.
- Exclusions include “Online Only” specials and private label brands. If they turn down your price match, use a Michaels coupon (in-store and online) to get comparable savings.
Office Depot & Office Max
Once you understand the Office Depot/Max price match policy, you’ll never troll the crowded aisles at Walmart again shopping for office supplies. Here are the instructions to make it happen.
- The item being price-matched must be identical, in-stock, and brand new.
- Bring in evidence of the lower Walmart price via a printed advertisement, printed in-store signage, receipt of item purchased, picture of in-store signage or online offer from mobile device.
- They also give you 14 days after your Office Depot/Max purchase to get a price adjustment if you find that Walmart has undercut the price you originally paid.
- Exclusions: Service plans, computer services, or other services which include delivery, copy and custom printing, installation, and extended warranties.
When shopping for pet food and supplies, be sure you’re getting Walmart pricing at your local Petco. Here is how their policy works.
- While very vague on their website, Petco will gladly match Walmart’s pricing on identical items.
- The only exclusion that they stipulate is pricing at unleashedbypetco.com, Petco.com or other online sellers and/or websites.
The folks at Sears will also honor the lower Walmart price. Here is the skinny:
- The Walmart price match at Sears is only eligible on the day you make your purchase.
- Must be an identical brand and model number.
- Just bring in evidence of the lower Walmart price and they’ll verify it independently.
- Exclusions: Bonus or free offers, special offers, online-only offers, bundled offers, rebates, any special financing offers, coupons, protection agreements, clearance, liquidation, or closeout prices, buy one get one offers, gift card offers, damaged, returned, open box or display merchandise.
The sporting goods giant, known as Sports Authority, has finally put together a price match policy that absolutely includes Walmart.
- Their “Price Match Promise” lets you price match in-store and online. For in-store, show a store associate the Walmart printed ad (with valid dates) or show an associate proof via a mobile device or printout from Walmart.com.
- For an online price match, have Walmart’s pricing information available and call Customer Support at 1-888-801-9164 for a price adjustment.
- Item must be in-stock and identical at both retailers. This includes brand, size, weight, color, and model number.
- Finally, only one price match is available per identical item, per customer. Also, you cannot use a Sports Authority coupon on top of your Walmart price match.
Staples will also price match Walmart, plus throw in a cool little bonus.
- If you find a new and identical item that they sell for less at Walmart, see an associate at the Staples customer service desk to get your price match.
- Not only will Staples match the price, but they’ll discount the item by 10% of the difference.
- Take evidence of the lower Walmart price to the Guest Services desk at your local Target.
- They’ll then use their iPad to verify the lower price.
- Also, keep your Target receipts as they’ll price match Walmart at any point within 14 days of your original purchase date.
I was happy to see that West Marine will price match Walmart, here are the details worth knowing.
- If you have a Walmart location within 50 miles of your local West Marine location, they’ll give you the lower Walmart price.
- Simply provide the Walmart address, item number, and base price of the item and they’ll independently verify the price.
- You can also call them at 1-800-BOATING to discuss your price match.
- From their website, “Price matching does not apply to online auctions, liquidation sales, refurbished or used merchandise, shipping charges, taxes, or promotions such as: mail-in offers, gift-with-purchase, financing offers, installation services, or typographical errors.”
By Kyle James
Photo by Mike Mozart.