The ALDI return policy is certainly unique and goes a step beyond other lenient return policies. In this article I’ll breakdown exactly what I mean, and also discuss a bunch of insider ways to make the return policy at ALDI work for you. Let’s get to it.
How Many Return Days Does ALDI Allow?
ALDI will let you return almost any item for a full refund or replacement if you’re not happy with it.
They do NOT place a specific number of days on returns.
So…What’s the “Twice as Nice Guarantee”?
Here is where their policy is REALLY unique and kinda amazing.
If you buy an ALDI-branded item, and you’re not happy with it for whatever reason, ALDI will do TWO things for you.
First, they’ll refund the money you spent on the item.
Second, they’ll also replace the item for you at no-cost.
Pretty dang awesome, especially since ALDI stocks many food items that you’ll be curious to try.
It’s a great risk-free way to give stuff a shot and possibly discover new favorites.
Are There Any Exceptions?
Yes, there are a few exceptions.
– Alcohol. This one depends on the state where you live. Some states allow you to return alcohol and some don’t.
If you want to return alcohol to ALDI you should call your local store and ask if it’s possible.
– Computers and Electronics. These have a 90 day return policy. You must have your receipt and be sure to include all manuals and accessories.
– Non-Food Items. You can still return non-food stuff but you won’t get a refund and a replacement, you’ll have to pick one or the other.
Do I Need My Receipt?
But if you want a refund to your original form of payment, you’ll definitely need your receipt.
Without a receipt you’ll have to settle for an ALDI merchandise credit gift card. You’ll get a credit for the current selling price of the item.
Can I Return Food Items?
Yep, not a problem.
The ALDI return policy actually reminds me of the Trader Joe’s policy as they let you buy food, take it home, try it, and bring it back if you don’t like it for WHATEVER reason.
What About Stuff I “Taste Tested”?
Not a problem.
Try it to your heart’s content. Even pair stuff with various wines if you like…
Just be sure to bring back whatever you have left of the product when you make the return.
Can I Return Broken Items?
You can even return items that you personally broke and is NOT the fault of ALDI.
But don’t abuse this lenient policy or it’s sure to go away.
Do “National Brands” Fall Under the Same Policy?
While you can return national brands that are not “ALDI-branded”, they do NOT qualify for the “Twice as Nice” guarantee.
This means you’ll get your money back, but you won’t get a free replacement as well.
Does ALDI Monitor My Return History?
While their website makes no mention of this, you can rest assured that they monitor all returns, especially those that don’t have a receipt.
They may even ask you for a valid I.D. if you make a return sans receipt.
They’ll use this information to track your returns moving forward.
3 ALDI Return Hacks:
1. Special Buy Items – Be aware that special buy items tend to drop in price quickly, especially towards the end of the season.
For this reason be sure to KEEP YOUR RECEIPT otherwise you’ll probably be stuck with store credit for WAY less than what you paid for the item.
2. Return Items at Non-Peak Times If Possible – If you’ve ever shopped at an ALDI location, you know that one of the ways they keep costs down is by having limited employees.
Because of this, avoid making returns during busy store hours and it will be a MUCH smoother process. Go early in the morning in the middle of the week, if you can.
3. Contact Corporate if Short on Time – If you have a “quality related” issue on a product from ALDI, but don’t have time to return it right away, contact their corporate office.
I’ve been told by several ALDI regulars that corporate will give you a voucher for a refund and free replacement that you can take in when it’s convenient for you.
I’ve also heard that for fresh produce you don’t even need to bring the item back with you.
Great customer service.
Ask the Reader: Is the return policy at ALDI as great as it seems? Have you ever had trouble returning an item? Let me know in the comments section below.
By Kyle James
Photo credit to Mike Mozart.