I’m not gonna lie, the Meijer return policy is pretty darn lenient, especially when it comes to returning consumable goods. But with any policy, there are many in’s and out’s that loyal shoppers need to be aware of before they head to Meijer to make a return. Here’s everything you need to know about their policy, including the items that can’t be returned and the ones that have “exceptions” attached to them. I hope this article helps make your next in-store return a breeze.
COVID-19 Policy Changes (11/09/20)
Meijer has started to accept returns on most items except the following:
- SodaStream exchanges.
- Automotive batteries.
- Carpet cleaner/power washer rentals from Bissell.
I will keep this list updated as new items are either added or removed.
How Many Return Days Does Meijer Allow?
Grocery Items: Unlimited days.
General Merchandise: 120 days.
Do I Need My Receipt?
No, not necessarily.
If you made your purchase with a credit card, EBT card, debit card, or personal check they can look up your purchase for 21 days.
Also, if you’re a mPerks account holder Meijer can look up your purchase for a whooping 90 days which is VERY convenient.
This cool feature alone makes it worth it to join the free mPerks club.
What If I Lost my Receipt?
If you lost your receipt, and Meijer can’t locate your purchase in their system, you’re still NOT out of luck.
You’ll need to show a valid ID so they can track your returns but in most cases you can still make the return.
You’ll have to settle for store credit for the lowest selling price of the item in the past 30 days.
Does Stuff Need To Be Unopened?
No, Meijer allows you to return products that you have opened, and even tested out.
Just make sure you put the item back in the original packaging (as best you can) and include all manuals, parts, and accessories.
Can I Return Food to Meijer?
Meijer has a “quality guarantee” that states all consumable food items can be returned WITH or WITHOUT a receipt.
Are There ANY Return Policy Exceptions?
Yes, there are a few items that you CANNOT return and here they are:
– Alcoholic Beverages: “Bottoms up” on anything with alcohol in it because you can’t take it back once purchased.
– Oberweis glass bottle returns: These are currently not returnable but this should change as we work our way through the COVID-19 pandemic.
– Swimsuits, dresses, lingerie, underwear: These must have the original tags on them unless they are defective.
– Tobacco Products: This includes chewing tobacco, cigars, and cigarettes.
– Nicotine Products: If it has nicotine as a listed ingredient you’re stuck with it.
– eCigarettes: Similar to regular cigarettes, you can’t bring these back for a refund or exchange.
– Prescription Drugs: You can only return these if you have authorization from the pharmacist.
– Ammunition: I had no idea Meijer even sold ammunition.
– Prepaid Wireless Phones: Do your research ahead of time to figure out the best phone for your needs, because once you buy it you can’t return it.
– Gift Cards: You can always sell them on Raise.com or eBay if you don’t want them.
– Opened Collector Cards: Includes baseball, basketball, football, and Pokemon cards.
– Blood Glucose Monitors: This includes blood glucose test strips as well.
And there are some items with RETURN RESTRICTIONS that you should be aware of as well:
– Tents and Airbeds: Can only be returned UNOPENED. If opened, you can only do an exchange if the product is defective.
– Video Games, DVDs, and CDs: If you open it you can’t return it unless it is defective.
– Items that use a Flammable Liquid: You’ll be hit with a restocking fee up to $25.
– Electronics with Data Storage: Once you open it, you can only return the item if it has something wrong with it. This includes things like MP3 players, computers, tablets, memory cards and game systems.
– Books, Photos, and Magazines: You get 120 return days and then a 30 day manufacturer warranty on top of that.
Can I Have My Return Rejected?
If Meijer feels you are taking advantage of their return policy and making too many “no-receipt returns” they reserve the right to refuse your return.
Like any good return policy it will go away, or be updated with more strict guidelines, if too many shoppers take advantage of it.
Can I Get Cash Back on My Return?
Yes and no.
If you made the original purchase with cash you can get cash back as long as you have the receipt and you’re within the return window.
Otherwise you’ll have to settle for store credit.
What Happens If I Pay With a Personal Check?
Your refund will be processed like a debit card transaction and the refunded amount will show up in your bank account within 3-5 business days.
Can I Return Groceries Delivered to My Home?
If you use Meijer’s home grocery delivery service and you want to return something, you can.
But you’ll have to take it back to the store to make it happen, Meijer will not send someone to your home to process the return.
What About Returning Stuff I Bought with a Coupon?
Not a problem.
Meijer will simply refund you the amount you paid out-of-pocket for the item.
In other words, you won’t get a credit (or cashback) when returning items bought with a coupon.
Can I Return Items Bought with WIC or EBT?
When returning state approved WIC items you can only get an even exchange for an identical item.
You CANNOT get cash back on WIC or EBT purchases, this includes baby formula and fresh fruit and produce.
What About Returning Meijer Branded Items?
If you are not happy with it, they actually encourage you to return it, with or without your receipt.
The only Meijer branded items that can’t be returned are state-approved WIC items.
Can Meijer Provide a Duplicate Receipt If I Need It?
Just visit the Meijer Service Desk at the store where you made the purchase and they can provide you a duplicate receipt within 21 days of the original purchase date.
The only instance where they can’t get you a copy of your receipt is if you made the purchase with cash.
Ask the Reader: What’s your opinion of the Meijer return policy? Did I miss any important information about their policy?
Photo credit to Meijer.