Return policies can be a tricky thing. They often look very unassuming from the outside, but when you dig a little deeper you often find “money sucking” traps and pitfalls that can really hurt your wallet. That certainly is the case with the Wayfair return policy, and is the reason I wanted to set the record straight for shoppers so they can avoid these traps when shopping on the Wayfair website. Let’s break it all down with answers to these crucial return policy questions…
Wayfair is temporarily pausing the return pickups of what they consider large items (only in some areas).
They ask shoppers to contact them to see if your specific area is part of this return policy change.
1. How Many Return Days Does Wayfair Allow?
If you’re unsatisfied for any reason with your Wayfair purchase, you get 30 days from the date of delivery to make a return.
While 30 days is a decent amount of time, it’s not as good as some stores which allow 60, 90, or even 120 return days.
This means get the item out of the box shortly after you get it and make sure it’s what you want and meets your standards in terms of quality and value.
2. Do Items Have to be Unopened?
Stuff bought from Wayfair can be opened when you return it, BUT items should be put back in the original packaging (as well as possible) and still be in “new” condition that can be resold.
Also make sure to include any manuals, instructions, or accessories that may have come with your purchase.
3. Are There Any Exceptions to the 30 Days?
Yes, glad you asked.
The following products have a different number of return days allowed.
– Mattresses – The Wayfair mattress return policy gives you 100 nights to test out your new mattress before deciding if it’s for you.
If you don’t like the mattress, you can arrange for a free return or exchange. BUT, you can only do this ONE TIME per order.
– Wedding Registry Gifts – You have until 90 days after the wedding to make an exchange for store credit.
To start a return you need to contact a Wayfair Registry Specialist and have your registry order number handy.
– Large Appliances – You get the same 30 days but only if the appliance has NOT been installed.
Because of this, Wayfair strongly recommends checking the box for damage, make sure the box contains the correct product, and carefully open the packaging to inspect the appliance.
If there is damage, or you got the wrong appliance, DO NOT accept the delivery.
Make the delivery person return it to Wayfair and call them ASAP at 1-(866) 263-8325 to let them know about the issue.
Bottom line: Once the appliance is installed it CANNOT be returned.
4. Are There Any Items That CAN’T Be Returned?
Yes, quite a few actually.
– Gift Cards – If you don’t want the gift card you can try selling it on Raise.com.
– Clearance Items – For this reason, make sure you double check your measurements before making a clearance purchase.
– Personalized Items – Double check your spelling on any engraved or personalized items because you can’t return them unless Wayfair makes an error.
– Bundled Items – Things sold at a discount like “2 for $20″ or “5 for $50″ cannot be returned. The only way you can return them is if you return the ENTIRE bundle.
– Items marked “Non-Returnable” – According to Wayfair, these are found on the Sale Page and are clearly marked as non-returnable.
– Assembled Items – Make sure that piece of furniture or bookshelf is exactly what you want before you put it together.
5. How Do I Initiate an Online Return?
They ask that you initiate a return via your My Orders page.
You’ll then select Return Item, then choose your return and refund method.
Then just follow the prompts and you’ll get an email conformation once completed.
Wayfair will refund to your original payment method once they receive the item(s) and do their inspection.
6. Can I Return Stuff Bought Online to an Actual Store?
Yes you can, but the only problem is Wayfair only has 1 actual brick & mortar store and it’s located in The Natick Mall in Natick, MA.
So obviously your best bet is going to be making an online return.
7. Does Wayfair Offer Free Returns?
If the reason for the return is an error by Wayfair, or a damaged or defective product, then they’ll pay the return shipping charges.
Otherwise, you’ll unfortunately be on the hook for the return shipping costs.
8. Can I Cancel My Return After I Initiate It?
To cancel your return AFTER you filled out the return form, just visit your My Orders page and follow the prompts.
But keep in mind that you cannot cancel the return once you place the item in the mail.
Important Note: It should also be noted that you can only change your refund method before you have returned your stuff. You can do this on your My Orders page as well.
9. What If I Want an Exchange Instead of a Refund?
Not a problem as Wayfair makes exchanges really easy.
You can either place a new order before the return, then return the item you don’t want and get a refund to your original form of payment or opt for store credit.
Or you can place a new order after the return and use your store credit or credit card to complete the purchase.
10. Does Wayfair Have an Extended Holiday Return Period?
Yes, and it’s actually fairly liberal compared to other retailer’s policies.
For all stuff bought between November 1 – December 31, Wayfair gives shoppers up until January 31st to make returns.
BONUS: 4 Wayfair Policy Hacks (That’ll Make You Feel Like a Genius)
1. Hack to get your new item SOONER – Let’s say you picked the wrong color and want to do an exchange.
The fastest way to get the new item is to place a new order, then initiate a return at a later date on the item you don’t want.
2. TRIPLE Check Big Items – There are many horror stories online of people receiving large items from Wayfair that arrived damaged but they didn’t refuse the delivery.
Consequently, they had to pay HUGE return shipping charges in order to send it back. Charges that darn near equaled the value of the item.
Moral of story: Make sure you are home to receive the delivery and thoroughly check it ALL out before you sign-off on the delivery.
3. Assembled Furniture – While you can’t return furniture that you already assembled, you absolutely can carefully take it a part, box it back up, and return it.
Yes, it’s a TOTAL pain in the butt, but unfortunately it’s the only way to make the return happen.
4. Open Box Specials – When shopping for Open Box Specials on the Wayfair website be aware that they are NOT returnable.
The product pages for these items does not stipulate this, but I called and asked and was told they indeed are not returnable.
Ask the Reader: What’s been your experience with the return policy at Wayfair? Good, bad or indifferent? Let me know in the comments.
By Kyle James
Photo credit to Wayfair.