If you found this page you’re probably either a new hire at Amazon (or considering applying) and wondering what the Amazon employee discount is and how it works exactly. While researching their employee discount, and talking to my Amazon contacts, it quickly became evident that their discount is only a small portion of their employee benefits package. So I went ahead and also listed the major Amazon employee benefits you get from working for the eCommerce giant. Let’s get to it shall we…
What is the Amazon Employee Discount?
Amazon offers a 10% employee discount.
They cap the annual discount at $100. So basically you get 10% off everything you buy up to $1,000.
While it’s not a huge discount, it’s definitely better than nothing.
How Long Before You’re Eligible?
I was told by a current Amazon employee that you have to work for the company for 30 days before you can tap into your employee discount.
Are Any Products Excluded from the Discount?
Products must be sold and fulfilled directly by Amazon and NOT 3rd party sellers.
Everything else is excluded.
Do Employees Get a Discount on Amazon Prime?
Employees are stuck paying full price for a Prime Membership.
Can I Use My Discount on Prime Day?
YES, you can use your 10% discount on any day of the year as long as products are eligible.
Do Employees in India Get a Discount?
I chatted with a customer service rep that lived in India and he told me they do not get an employee discount.
Do 3rd Party Contractors Get the Discount?
Unfortunately 3rd party sellers and those who deliver for Amazon, but are independent contractors, are not eligible.
According to Amazon employee, Sabrina, the best way to see if you’re eligible for the discount is to check the AtoZ app and see what your “Employee Status” is.
Within the app, you’ll want to tap your picture and see if an employee discount code appears.
Can I Shop From My Amazon Affiliate Links?
The Amazon Affiliate Program lets you earn a commission on any Amazon links on your site or blog that people click-on and subsequently make a purchase.
You get a small commission on the sale and it can add up to significant money depending on how much traffic your site gets.
BUT….you cannot click on your own Amazon links, buy something, and earn a commission.
They put a kibosh on that sneaky practice awhile back.
Do Employees Earn Extra for Working on Holidays?
Yes, Amazon employees earn “time and half” if they work on the following 6 holidays:
- New Year’s Day.
- Memorial Day.
- Independence Day.
- Labor Day.
- Thanksgiving Day.
- Christmas Day.
What Other Amazon Employee Benefits Are Available?
Well, I’m glad you asked because here are some other benefits to working at Amazon in no particular order…
– $15/hour Starting Wage – The absolute least they’ll pay you is $15/hour which is a nice starting wage.
– Health Benefits – You’re eligible on your first day of work as long as you work 20+ hours per week.
– Maternity & Paternity Leave – Full-time employees (blue badges) get up to 4 weeks pre-partum and 10 weeks paid leave post-partum.
– Tuition Reimbursement – After working for Amazon for 1-year, you’re eligible for 95% tuition reimbursement towards an Associates degree or certificate.
– Adoption Assistance – Up to $5,000 for single child adoptions and $10,000 for sibling/group adoptions.
– Employee Assistance Plan – Free counseling services for all employees and household members. This includes 3 free in-person counseling sessions per year.
Ask the Reader: Are you a current or former Amazon employee? How often did you take advantage of their employee discount?
By Kyle James