(Updated 12/21/18) Have you ever bought something, got it home and torn it open, only to realize it sucks, or doesn’t fit, or just isn’t what you thought it was? Then realize that since you opened it, you can’t return it and are stuck with it for eternity. Or maybe you wear a pair of shoes for a couple weeks and they keep giving you painful blisters? Some stores have awesome return policies in place that allow you to actually return used or opened items with NO questions asked (just don’t abuse them or you can bet they’ll go away forever). Below are all of the stores that fit this category.
The return policy at Anthropologie is pretty awesome:
- If you’re not satisfied with your purchase, for ANY reason, they’ll take care of you with a full refund or exchange.
- You can even get a refund on worn merchandise purchased over a year ago, with or without a receipt.
If you don’t have a receipt, they’ll give you the current selling price of the item.
- You have exactly 14 days to return items, opened or unopened.
- You can use this policy to basically “test drive” items to see if you like them.
Items not available for return include: Opened software, Electronic Software Downloads, Apple Store Gift Cards, Developer products (membership, technical support incidents, WWDC tickets), and Apple Print Products.
- Unlike parent companies Old Navy, Gap, and Banana Republic, you can return worn clothing to Athleta for ANY reason.
There is NO time table on returns or exchanges.
Bath & Body Works
Here are the details of the “100% Guarantee” at Bath & Body Works:
- From their website, “If at any time you’re not completely satisfied with the quality of our products, you may return them to any of our Bath & Body Works stores.”
- If you don’t have your receipt they’ll still take back the item but give you the lowest selling price on record.
If they think you may be abusing their return policy, they reserve the right to scan your driver’s license to keep you from abusing their policy in the future.
Bed Bath & Beyond
The Bed Bath & Beyond return policy got revamped on April 20th, 2015, but it still rocks.
- If you have your receipt, you can return all items, used or otherwise, for a full refund at ANY time after purchase.
- If you don’t have your receipt, they will attempt to find your order in their system. If they can’t locate it, you can still return the item MINUS 20% of the current selling price.
If you’re returning via a gift receipt, you can also got a full refund or exchange.
The Body Shop has a very liberal return policy as well. Here’s what you need to know:
- If you have your receipt, you can return items, new or used, for a full refund.
- There is NO time-limit, so be sure to hang on to those receipts.
With no receipt in hand, the best they can do is a store credit at the lowest selling price in the past 30 days.
The Costco return policy is legendary. Here’s the skinny:
- You can return items to the warehouse, no matter the shape or condition, if not completely satisfied.
- The only products that have a time restraint on them are electronics at 90 days from date of purchase. The following is considered an electronics item: Televisions and Projectors, Computers, Touchscreen Tablets, Cameras, Camcorders, MP3 players and Cellular Phones.
- Also, all diamonds at 1.00 ct or larger require original paperwork for return.
Other than diamonds, a receipt is not required as Costco can look up your order details in their system.
While CVS will not take back most used items, they do make one big exception…
- Beauty products have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If not happy, for whatever reason, just bring it back opened or unopened for a full refund.
There’s no time limit on returns but you must have your original receipt.
- Eddie stands behind their clothing, “If anything you buy falls short of our standards, you’re invited to return it at any time.”
- When returning items with a receipt, you’re eligible for a full refund or exchange.
When returning items without a receipt, you can get a store credit or exchange.
- Kohl’s will take back all items, new or used, at any time if you’re not satisfied with your purchase. No questions asked.
- There is NO time restriction on ALL returns and no receipt needed if your purchase is on your Kohl’s card within the past 12 months.
If you made your purchase with something other than a Kohl’s card, you can still return items without a receipt but you’ll have to settle for store credit or an even exchange.
- Lands’ End will take back any item, at any time, for any reason. No questions asked.
- If you wear something for a couple weeks, or months, or years, and decide it just isn’t for you, they’ll take it back for a full refund or exchange.
- If you return an item where the record of purchase dates back 9 months or greater, they’ll issue a refund in the form of a refund check.
If you return an item with NO record of purchase, they’ll issue a refund for the item’s lowest sale price in the form of a Lands’ End gift card.
- They’ll take back both new and heavily used items if they fail or you’re not happy for any reason.
- No receipt? No problem. If a receipt can’t be located, they’ll “give you an L.L.Bean Gift Card for the current selling price of the item, or replace your item.”
If the original item is no longer available, they’ll probably call or email you “to help determine an alternative that works for you.” Pretty amazing policy.
- They’ll take back pretty much anything, at any time, with or without a receipt.
They strive to work fairly with you to make sure you’re happy with your purchase and they ask that you treat them fairly as well, and don’t abuse the policy.
Here are the details of the awesome return policy at REI.
- REI stands behind all of the products they sell with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- If you’re not completely satisfied with any product, for any reason, you can return it for a full refund, or replacement, within 1 year of purchase.
Important note on used products being returned, “Used items must be cleaned for a return or exchange. If you send merchandise that is not cleaned or laundered to the REI Returns Department, it will be returned at your expense.”
It’s a little known fact that Trader Joe’s has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- If you’re not satisfied with any product you buy at Trader Joe’s, you can return it NO questions asked with NO limits.
- The item could be half eaten or half drank; it doesn’t matter.
They stand behind everything they sell.
Whole Foods Market
If you shop at Whole Foods, are you aware of their killer return policy? Here’s how it works:
- Whole Foods guarantees every product they sell and allows you to bring back items opened, or unopened, for ANY reason.
For them to take items back, you must have your original receipt.
The service center at Zappos is legendary and will often bend over backwards to make the customer happy. Here’s what you need to know:
- The Zappos website states that all items must be returned in their “original condition” within 365 days of purchase.
- But…I found this website which talks about a blogger who bought an expensive pair of running shoes from Zappos, jogged in them for over 400 miles but kept getting blisters. He thought he was screwed as he didn’t have any of the original packaging. But he decided to call them anyways and not only did they replace his shoes with a new size, but they gave him a $35 credit as the shoes had dropped in price. So awesome Zappos.
Your best bet when it comes to returning used shoes, clothing, and handbags, is to call them at 1 (800) 927-7671 and explain your situation.
By Kyle James
Photo by TopRank Marketing.