The Sears return policy is a bit complicated. This is due, in part, to the large number of products that they currently sell. Tires, tools, furniture, appliances, clothing, electronics, shoes, mattresses, and the list goes on and on. I figured it was time to do some research and answer all of your return policy questions on a single page. Here’s everything you need to know about the return policy at Sears.
How Many Return Days at Sears?
For most items, Sears gives you a full 30 days from the date of purchase to make a return.
Items must be in their original packaging and include all parts and instruction manuals.
Do I Need My Sears Receipt to Return Stuff?
Yes! Hold on to that receipt.
Sears explicitly says you need your receipt to make a return.
While they may be able to look up your purchase in their computer system, there’s NO guarantee they’ll be able to find it.
Your return will be processed back to your form of payment.
If you’re returning a gift (with the gift receipt) you’ll be issued a Sears gift card for the amount.
HACK ALERT: If you lost your Sears receipt, your best bet is to call Sears directly at (800) 349-4358 and speak to a representative.
Politely explain to them that your receipt has gone missing and they can often look up the order number using your credit card number.
They’ll then email you a copy of your receipt that you can print out and take with you to the store. I did this successfully a couple months ago, it’s definitely worth a shot.
Any Exceptions to the 30 Days?
Not surprisingly, Sears has a ton of exceptions to their baseline 30-day return policy. Here they are…
– Automotive Products (Installed): Think tires and car batteries. These products are covered under the specific manufacturer’s warranty.
– Prepaid Cell Phones: 14 days. After 14 days you’ll have to take it up with the carrier directly.
– Christmas Items: If you bought item before December 25th, you CANNOT return it once Christmas has passed. Alternatively, Christmas items bought after Christmas are all FINAL sale.
– Craftsman Tools: Craftsman tools are awesome and most of them come with a lifetime warranty. Click here for details.
– Personalized Items: These are NOT returnable.
– Furniture: If items are delivered, they must be returned within 7 days of the delivery date. Ready-to-assemble and baby furniture come with a 30 day return policy.
– Opened music, movies, software, video games: These cannot be returned. If item is defective, an identical exchange is available.
– Mattresses: From the Sears website, “You must use the mattress set for 30 nights before requesting a return or exchange. If after the 30 night adjustment period you are not satisfied, you have between the 31st day & the 60th day after the delivery date to request a one-time comfort return or exchange for a different mattress & foundation of equal or greater value. Where permitted by law, a pick up fee will be charged for our delivery team to pick up the mattress or foundation from its location & a 15% usage & processing fee will apply.”
Does Sears Ever Charge a Re-Stocking Fee?
Unfortunately, yes they do. On these items specifically…
15% Restocking Fee: On returned mattresses, foundations, assembled/upholstered indoor furniture, water heaters, and built-in home appliances.
Also, you’ll be hit with a 15% restocking fee on OPENED consumer electronics, patio furniture, gazebos, canopies, pergolas, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, space heaters and grills.
To AVOID this 15% fee, these items must be returned unused and in the original box and product packaging, with all accessories and parts included.
How Do I Return a Sears Appliance?
You have 30 days to return an appliance for any reason.
For smaller appliances you can take them back yourself, but for larger ones you’ll need to call Sears at (800) 349-4358 to schedule a pickup date and time.
Make sure you have your receipt in-hand as they’ll ask for your order information.
Can I Return Stuff from Sears.com to any Sears?
This is actually the smart way to return online purchases as you’ll avoid the return shipping fee that Sears will stick you with.
Does Sears Offer a “Holiday” Return Policy?
Yes, and it’s pretty stellar.
For items bought between November 1 and December 24th, you’re given until January 31st to make a return.
It should be noted that this extended return window is limited to items that come with the standard 30-day return policy.
Sears Return Policy Tidbits:
– Lands’ End Purchases: Did you know you can return items bought from Lands’ End to your local Sears? This includes stuff bought from their website, catalog, and the Sears Lands’ End shop.
– Items Sold by a 3rd Party: Sears sells a lot of items on their website that are sold and fulfilled by 3rd party Marketplace sellers. These items cannot be returned to Sears, they must be returned directly to the Marketplace seller.
– Sears Outlet Purchases: The Sears Outlet has a completely different return policy. Because of this, you must return outlet items directly to the Sears Outlet and not the regular store.
– Sears Parts Direct Items: To return a Parts Direct item to a Sears store you must first acquire a Return Authorization form. Click Here to gain access to one. You can also go to any Sears store and ask an associate for assistance.
Ask the Reader: Have you ever had to use the Sears return policy? Was it an easy process or a pain in the neck?
By Kyle James