Having donned the orange apron in my younger years, I’m quite familiar with whether or not The Home Depot offers an employee discount. But even more than that, I want to breakdown all of the job perks and benefits that The Home Depot offers so you can decide if applying at the home improvement giant is right for you. Let’s break it all down and hopefully I’ll answer most of your burning questions.
So…Does The Home Depot Offer an Employee Discount?
The Home Depot does NOT currently offer a standard employee discount on purchases.
But…they do have a website that lets employees purchase stuff like gym memberships, local restaurant gift cards, and cell phone services at a discount.
What Benefits Does Home Depot Offer Employees?
While you won’t get a standard employee discount, here are the MANY other Home Depot job benefits and perks.
– Health Care: Health insurance for both you and your family.
– Paid Parental Leave: Home Depot will pay you so you can stay home and bond with your new addition.
– 24/7 “Teladoc” Physician Support: Stay at home and do a video call with a physician if your feeling under the weather.
– Pet Care and Insurance: They’ll help with pet sitting and discounted pet insurance for your furry friends.
– Company Match on 401(k) Savings Plan: Home Depot will match $1.50 for every $1 you add to your 401(k) up to 5% off your total pay.
– Performance Bonuses: Financial recognition for when you exceed goals or go above and beyond in terms of outstanding customer service.
– Stock Discount: They offer a 15% discount when buying Home Depot stock.
– Tuition Reimbursement: Home Depot will help pay some of your tuition if you go back to school.
Does It Matter If I’m Only Part-Time?
To qualify for health benefits, you’ll need to be a full-time employee working at least 40 hours per week.
Part-time employees are eligible for other benefits like short-term disability, vision, dental, and even life insurance.
How Long Do I Have to Work to Qualify?
To be eligible for health care benefits, full-time employees need to work for Home Depot for at least 90 days.
It’s my understanding that the 90 day window also applies to the other job benefits listed above.
Can Employees Get First-Dibs on Open Box Deals?
Simply by being a Home Depot employee, you’ll know about “scratch and dents” and “open box deals” before the majority of the public.
So you’ll definitely get first-dibs on these products and save significant money in the process.
Can I Get the HD Military Discount If I’m an Employee?
Just because you work for the Home Depot does NOT mean you can’t still get their “unofficial” military discount.
At the time of this writing it’s a flat 10% discount on all in-store purchases.
Be prepared to show proof of your service.
Any Other Home Depot Discounts to Be Aware Of?
Home Depot calls it ProXtra Benefits and it’s free to join and gives you exclusive perks, offers, volume pricing, and paint rewards.
If you’re a contractor and make a lot of purchases from The Home Depot it’s a no-brainer.
The Home Depot does have a quantity discount program called Volume Pricing Discounts.
Basically, you assemble your project list and if your total adds up to at least $2500, you’ll qualify for a volume discount.
The Home Depot does not currently offer a teacher discount.
Similar to the teacher discount, there currently is NOT a senior discount.
Ask the Reader: Do the Home Depot employee discount, perks, and benefits sway you to apply for a job? Let me know if I’m missing any details and I’ll be sure to update this article.
By Kyle James