Frugal Hack #1: The “Secret” Dish Network Programming Package

December 10, 2012 by Kyle
comments

(Updated 11/08/16) Welcome to the first post in my new Frugal Hacks series. Frugal life tips which take very little time to implement, but could conceivably save you a ton of money every year.

Are you a current Dish Network customer and tired of paying $50 or more for a bunch of channels you don’t watch? I recently discover a “secret” programming package that gets my family all local channels in HD plus popular channels like TBS, History, TLC, MSNBC, Hallmark, Hub, HGTV, Food Network, Oxygen, CMT, and Boomerang for a whopping 65 cents a day .

We get 60 channels in all, plus one HD-DVR receiver, for a grand total of $26.99 a month. (If you don’t want the DVR service you only pay $19.99/mo.)

The package is called the ‘Welcome Pack’ and most people don’t know that it’s available to ALL Dish Network customers, new and old. Why it’s called the ‘Welcome Pack’ is a mystery to me.

If you log into your online account you’ll notice that this package is NOT an available option. Currently, the only way you can get the welcome pack is to call them at 1-800-333-DISH and ask for it. Took me 5 minutes to call and get our programming changed.

Below is a screenshot of what your account will look like once you have the ‘Welcome Pack’. Your account will actually say ‘Package No Longer Available’  – WRONG! The secret is you just gotta call and ask for it!

The Pro’s

Obviously the price is a biggie. I have never seen a better price (for what you get) with any cable or satellite supplier. Also, you still get a lot of kids programming like PBS, HUB, Boomerang, and Baby First.

The bottom-line is this package is great for those who want to cut back on expenses but still have the ability to get local channels and local news.

The Con’s

Sports. While you’ll still get all the major network sports programming, you’re not going to get ESPN, or ESPN2 or ESPN News, or ESPN3, how many are there these days? This may be a deal breaker for some of you.

But keep in mind that you can still stream ESPNU from your computer or tablet and your TV is still going to be non-stop sports every Saturday and Sunday. Like anything in life, there is a trade-off. A break from non-stop sports to save some serious cash may be a good thing.

Keep an eye out for Frugal Hack #2 coming next week!

More Total Awesomeness:

Frugal Hack #26: Beware of a “Parts Replacer... If you've ever had a home appliance conk out, you know what a pain in the butt it can be to get it fixed. Whether it's a broken refrigerator, dish...
10 Brilliantly Simple Ways to Save Money at the Gr... I got three kids right now who eat more than I do. The result is a grocery bill which can be ridiculously high if we don't shop smart and look for sav...
The Alternative Brands That Are Cheaper (and Often... By knowing which expensive items have cheaper alternatives, we can always opt for the best value and save a bunch of money in the process. But often t...
Best Things to Buy at Costco That’ll Easily ... (Updated 2/06/17) $55. That's what a basic "Gold Star" annual Costco membership is going to cost you. It's really easy to justify the $55 if you're ge...
Frugal Hack #23: Order Online, Return Item to Stor... So this Frugal Hack comes from a new reader here at Rather-Be-Shopping.com (who also happens to be a distant relative), which is WAY cool. Long story ...
May Buying Guide: 10 Things To Buy Now Often the key to finding great bargains is timing. As they say "timing is everything", or is that "location is everything"? In either case, there are ...

Comments

76 Responses to “Frugal Hack #1: The “Secret” Dish Network Programming Package”

1. Kyle on December 10th, 2012 4:18 pm

From Facebook: Do the disney channels come on this? and nick and those? any movie channels? we need to do something to reduce our price, but those are the ones we watch a lot.

My Answer: No Disney or Nick – but my girls get more shows than they need from HUB, Boomerang, and PBS. They DVR shows like Strawberry Shortcake, Word World, Arthur, My Little Pony, the Smurfs. Also, Dish always has free previews that include at least 1 movie channel and often a kids channel. The package is great for our family, and the price is amazing IMO.

2. Merna on December 10th, 2012 10:28 pm

Do you know if there’s a similar deal at DirecTV?

3. Kyle on December 10th, 2012 11:56 pm

@ Merna – Not to my knowledge. Anyone reading this have DirectTV and a similar package?

4. Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter on December 11th, 2012 9:24 am

I wish we had more access to deals like this in Canada. I guess we just don’t have the population to support things like this.

5. Kyle on December 11th, 2012 9:38 am

@ Miss T – you guys don’t have Direct TV or Dish Network in Canada? I didn’t know that. Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment!

6. Miss T @ Prairie Eco-Thrifter on December 11th, 2012 9:49 am

Nope.

7. Tackling Our Debt on December 11th, 2012 10:46 am

We don’t have any cool cheap ways in Canada to watch TV other than if we find something on the Internet. 🙁

Good for you though for finding such a great deal.

8. D on June 23rd, 2014 7:21 pm

Do you get Fox news on 205?

9. Randy on June 24th, 2014 8:55 am

Just so you know, the best way to get the most awesome deals is to be polite even if you are persistent. I worked as a Dish rep, and you wouldn’t believe the rudeness of the average caller.

10. Bob on April 4th, 2015 8:21 am

I can understand why people get annoyed. As a loyal dish customer, I tried to upgrade from the Welcome Pack to Americas Top 120 and it was going to cost me almost $40 a month more than if I were a new customer. I was prepared to pay around $40 dollars a month, but the rep said $66! I said, “So if I QUIT Dish and then comeback as a “New” customer I save $30 a month?!” They said, “Yes” So I said, “So I am being penalized for being a loyal customer for ten years?! .. That Doesn’t make any sense!” So they referred my to a “Loyalty specialist who, after two (let me check with my managers” got me 6 months of a $30/month rebate so I pay around 36 dollars a month. I wasn’t rude, but I can certainly understand why people are rude on the phone with Dish.

11. Jay on July 27th, 2014 6:13 pm

Just an FYI – I have had Dish for awhile and so I don’t have a contract. They allow me to upgrade during football season and downgrade again later. I recently upgraded for the World Cup. Just know that if you downgrade back to a lower tiered package within 30 days then you are charged $5. I have even done that before to watch one game.

12. Kyle on August 19th, 2014 3:41 pm

Good tips, thanks Jay!

13. Carol on August 19th, 2014 3:37 pm

Just called to see if I could get my bill lowered while upgrading my service so I could get my Dr. Who back. The service rep got me a $20 discount while also getting the upgrade I needed.

14. Kyle on August 19th, 2014 3:40 pm

WooHoo! Nicely done Carol.

15. Joe Nick Manchin Rahall on November 28th, 2014 5:59 am

Hell will freeze over and then snow over and freeze again before Directv will have a deal equal to Dish’s Welcome Pack. With MSNBC, Comedy Central, WE, Oxygen, TBS and locals, Directv would not even consider offering a deal equal to Dish’s Welcome Pack. For those of you who’ve got to have Bill O’Reilley and his Foxed News, you’d have to go with the Smart Pack which is $32.99. That’s gettin’ up there, Men! If you’re wanting to cut costs, though, Welcome is your way to go.

16. Chelsea on December 1st, 2014 1:18 pm

We had been paying $131 a month for 3 receivers in the house, but today I whittled it down to the Welcome Package on one dual receiver–plus DVR–for $24.99 a month (that’s including all taxes and fees). Told them I wasn’t interested in paying a penny over $25 and ta-da! All you gotta do is ask politely!

17. jonathan on December 7th, 2014 7:54 pm

So is this still an option in late 2014?

18. Joe Nick Manchin Rahall on December 8th, 2014 3:18 pm

Jonathan, it sure is still an option! I’m currently on the Smart Pack, and I’m there till April because of a contract, but believe you me, I’m heading over to the Welcome Pack in April! The Smart Pack is nice with TV Land and ID, but dangit, they aren’t worth an extra 13 bucks a month! Besides, with the Welcome Pack, I’ll get TBS, Comedy Central, WE, Oxygen, MSNBC and other channels that aren’t in the Smart Pack. I just wish I wasn’t under contract till April with the Smart Pack or else I’d be over with Welcome today!

19. George on December 30th, 2014 4:01 pm

I did this March/2014, cut my Dish bill from $100/mth to $20, enough to pay for the smartTV we bought BlackFriday2013. Called in Aug2014 to add the Sports Package to get Redzone, the rep said I needed minimum of Top120, but I was polite and she gave me Top120 for discount, and SportsPackage free til end of year. Now it’s time to go back to Welcome Package until August again 🙂

20. m collier on January 23rd, 2015 4:32 pm

Did the welcome pack go up? I called today and the welcome pack for me
    Was $47 plus tax? I have ther hopper with the big box n 2 small ones

21. Joe Nick Manchin Rahall on February 9th, 2015 7:29 pm

Sounds to me like you’re being charged for your Hopper plus your two other satellite tuners. Welcome is the only package that didn’t have a price increase this year. It’s still $20 / month while every other package was increased between at least $3 – $5 per month.

22. Dennis Gannon on March 8th, 2015 7:35 am

I have the DISH NETWORK. I pay $50.00 for all the programming we get. We watch so little, but there it is, we want DIY and HGTV and we are Football Fans so ESPN is important to us. Here is the question.
    Can I buy a DVR and own it rather than pay a monthly fee so I can record DIY, HGTV, Animal Planet, TLC, and A&E?
    Or must I buy a hopper and go with a monthly fee?

23. Debbie on March 23rd, 2015 10:25 am

It doesn’t matter if you buy the equipment or lease it you still get charged a monthly receiver fee.

24. D. Wright on October 4th, 2016 12:38 am

I bought a simple easycap and installed it to my laptop. I record all the time without paying an extra dime. It may not be HD quality but who cares. It still looks great on iPads, laptops, and smaller devices.

25. Jennifer on December 11th, 2016 3:37 am

Would someone please, Please, PLEASE explain this? I’m going to TRY to get Dish to give us a discount first. I’m just going to be straight with them, tell them that we’ve been with them for a while, but we need to find a discount and heard about the Welcome package. When they say $45 or whatever, I’ll say, “No, that’s still way too much. Is there a way to go cheaper?”
    But if they don’t … I’d like to know what’s meant by “buy the equipment,” and then buy “a simple easycap” and install it. We don’t get HD quality now, so I don’t give a monkey’s patootie if we won’t be getting it with the other. I just know I NEED to cut back, any way possible!

26. Joe Nick Manchin Rahall on March 9th, 2015 12:12 pm

I don’t know of any way to get Dish programming via satellite without having a monthly package. Once ESPN is added, ZOOM! up goes the price.

27. Dave on March 26th, 2015 11:26 am

Does the welcome package include our local channels?

28. charlie on April 3rd, 2015 9:38 am

yes, local channels, such as ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX are included in the Welcome Pack. To the person that asked about HGTV and DIY, HGTV is included, DIY is one of the channels they offer a free preview of periodically. Seems like every 2 or 3 months DIY is part of that. I just DVR the shows, which are usually repeats, so really don’t need it EVERY month. THis month it’s Sundance, Hallmark movies & mysteries, Sportsman Channel, Destination America, & Blockbuster @Home outdoor sports.

29. Jennifer on December 11th, 2016 3:38 am

Can I add on Hallmark?

30. glenda on August 18th, 2015 4:56 pm

hey, i just called them and yaaay i was able to get it as well.. from 118.41 to 53.62 with tax etc.. thats good enough for me

31. Gary on September 16th, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks for the tip! We live where there is no reception other than satellite and 99% of what we watch are local channels. Dish bill just went from $84.00/month to $19.99. Not bad!

32. Jennifer on December 11th, 2016 3:39 am

If you are only watching local channels, wouldn’t it be better to buy a digital antenna?

33. Mark Jordan on June 28th, 2017 7:44 pm

An antenna is exactly what’s need for local channels, but many people live too far to receive TV without investing large sums of money for the antenna, tower, amplifier, etc. needed to receive these “local” channels. As for the others, Playstation Vue steaming is probably the best deal out there are the moment. You don’t need a Playstation, and you get the equivalent of a DVR with a channel guide included in the price which begins at 29.99/month.

34. wendy kroschel on February 2nd, 2016 7:40 pm

Is the RFD channel in the Welcome package? How about the Westerns channel (342)?

35. Bill Berry on February 19th, 2016 12:29 pm

The RFD is not part of the Welcome Pack for $19.99. I was told by Dish that you could receive the locals only and as long as you don’t mind paying the DVR fee that comes in right about $20.00 so the Welcome Pack isn’t a bad option if you enjoy the Food Network, MSNBC, The Weather Channel; there are no sports channels with this package; ESPN by itself charges between $7 and $8 per subscriber now and that’s not counting ESPNU, ESPNews, and ESPN2. There is a cord-cutting solution that’s free after purchasing a Channel Master DVR that costs about $400.00 but it’s no charge after that and it will record your locals in HD and provide a guide, though I recommend using the internet for a more complete guide.

I can tell you my ex-wife (we’re still good friends) recently moved and we explored DirecTV since Dish wouldn’t sign off on the install which the signal has to shoot through a line of trees. The apartment complex offers U-Verse TV and DirecPath (DirecTV), I can tell you Dish is an excellent option if you can get it. I grant you 1st year promos are great, but it’s afterwards that you pay through the nose. For those of you really serious about cutting the cord, there is Kodi (formerly XBMC) that is an excellent option, but you’ll miss the remote control experience; a keyboard and a mouse takes quite an adjustment but if you have excellent internet speeds, it works great once you figure out how to navigate the darn thing. ROKU is another option now that many of the networks have extensions or apps.

I can also tell you the Dish Anywhere app, the new version has been working terrific on our computers and that is an excellent option if you have it for example at one family member’s home and you can log into the system from your computer. We’re spoiled on it now. The cheapest solution is the Channel Master DVR once you pay for the DVR; I’ve read the future DVRs will have internet streaming apps on it as well. If it weren’t for CBS having their own streaming platform, HuluPlus is an excellent option if you opt to run a HDMI cord from your computer to your HDTV which longer cords can be ordered from Amazon.com for dirt money; I ran a 30 foot cord under my house from my computer to the HDTV and use a wireless keyboard and mouse from my couch. I own the ROKU which is as close as to a remote as you’re going to get. Like one comment, there are sacrifices that have to be made to keep your costs to a minimum, but short of what I wrote about; the Welcome Pack for a total with taxes and DVR fee of $15 (we’re $12 for the moment) is not a bad option; the DVR fee is also $15 over at DirecTV too.

Finally, it may be better to end your service with Dish only to renew it and take advantage of the $49.99 for three years; our rates just went up $2.00 and over at DirecTV it’s $51.99 for Select and no ESPNs. I can live without ESPN until football season, so I’m leaning on the Channel Master solution but for the locals only…that’s $20 which still isn’t too bad…the locals only I believe are either $5.99 or $6.99 a month; that’s as no frill as it gets. The DVR free makes that between $17.99 to $20.99 before taxes. I hope this helps. Thanks

36. Bill Berry on February 19th, 2016 12:33 pm

Assuming the moderators can input this…where at the end I mentioned the Channel Master and $20.00; the Channel Master DVR costs upfront about $400.00; it’s free after that, no DVR fee. If you opt to go that way, I recommend you hook it up to your internet connection which then will provide an excellent guide. Or…think of your Dish Hopper DVR like a Tivo…you’re paying $12.00 or $15.00 to use its recording capabilities which too double as a sling player, you can watch what you record anywhere which is exactly what we do; the DVR is in my home, 100 miles away and at her house we access it via the app; I can honesty say the Primetime Anywhere part of it is gold. The new AT&T U-Verse DVR frustrates us on so many levels. Tuners to name a few; the lack of.

37. B Jackson on November 29th, 2016 5:39 pm

RFD channel comes in Heartland Package only $6.00 per month

38. Daniel jaquez on March 14th, 2016 4:21 pm

I just switched to the welcome pack best thing I’ve done. I can’t believe I was paying over 100 dollars a month. Great choice.

39. Case Crum on March 28th, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi! My roommate and I switched to the Welcome Pack last year (with the same SD 625 dual DVR), and I plan on upgrading us to HD with an new DVR. What HD channels besides the locals come with the Welcome Pack?

40. James on April 5th, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi everyone! Well, it is April 4, 2016. I just called Dish myself today! Nice and easy! We are on the Welcome Pack and cut our bill from 41.00 to 20.00. Thank you for the information!!

41. Kyle on April 5th, 2016 4:07 pm

Nice! Thanks for letting us know.

42. Renee on April 14th, 2016 7:56 am

We are not in a contract anymore with Dish, and haven’t for last 2 years. So I really don’t think I want to completely get rid of Dish, yet. I started out with the next to biggest package with Dish. We do have the Heartland package $6 a month also. We never had HBO, Starz, etc. At that time we had 2 extra receivers, dvr. My bill at its highest was around $110. I dropped it down to Dish America package to 1 extra receiver and dvr.

Then back in Sept. when I seen Dish advertise free dvr, cheaper prices to the new customers, I called and fussed about it not being fair to already customers and they did give me a $25 credit a month for a year, to make up for some of my complaints which I was satisfied with. But my bill was still running about $80 give or take. And now April 1 they had taken INSP channel off of lineup. This really made me so angry and made me rethink my package and pricing. I found the Welcome package and you have to ask for this package as it itsn’t a package you can change yourself online with your account. It doesn’t have the sports channels, but we only watch that during College football season. I was very surprised of the channels that was in this package, it is worth the $20 a month.

Anyway, my son told me about PlaystationVue -streaming Cable. And all I can say is wow. They have 3 packages starting at $30 for 55 channels, $35 for 70+ channels and $45 for 100+ channels, I am on the 7 day trial right now, and I really like it. I am thinking of the smaller package, with Nick channels, to name a few. But for Football season this is good to know, that I do have a choice. No local channels for my area, but some areas do have local channels. If you have caps on your internet, not sure if this would be good for you. I have no caps and pretty good internet. And the good thing about this is you don’t have to have a playstation, Amazon Firestick works with this also.

43. Loyce on May 4th, 2016 3:27 pm

Does the welcome pack require a contract?

44. Bob on October 7th, 2017 8:14 pm

Yes it requires a two-year contract. But you can also shut the service down and periods of three months at a time you still will have your contract but it will extend for the time that you didn’t use it example if you’re snowbird and leave your house in the winter and go south you can shut the service off and then pick it back up when you get back

45. Martin St John on May 13th, 2016 3:08 pm

Does anyone here know how to recreate all the programming currently available on DishNetwork (or DirecTV) through online entertainment subscription, i.e. Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, etc. I’ve been told it can be done through these subscriptions and that local channels can be accessed through a digital antenna. Does anyone have any experience with this?

46. Danny lovejoy on May 24th, 2016 8:59 am

Fire stick cost around 40.00 dollars. You won’t be sorry it shows movies all live sports the movies that isn’t in theaters yet and the ones that are.free pay per view any thing you want to watch

47. Brenda Nowlin on May 17th, 2016 11:02 am

I’m interested in the comments regarding using a digital antenna.

48. Danny lovejoy on May 24th, 2016 8:41 am

I’m thinking of calling dish network there charging me 188.00 dollars for my TV channels a month. I’d like to know what all comes on welcome package. Please help!

49. Anna on June 15th, 2016 4:52 am

If you do a search for welcome pack you should be able to find the channels.

50. Tom Smith on June 6th, 2016 6:15 pm

Is TV Land in the Welcome Pack now? Is it possible I’m getting a glitch? Anyone know?

51. Anna on June 15th, 2016 4:51 am

I found this by accident when I called DISH to possibly cancel my account. Monthly fee went up AGAIN and I was tired of being nickled and dimed to death especially since I don’t watch most of the channels. Well!! They offered me this!

I thought it was temporary but it’s been 2 years at least. It still comes to 35/month with the DVR and insurance which I don’t mind paying. If anyone can tell me how to buy my own DVR….can’t seem to figure that out.

Thanks for posting this for others. I’m sure it will be appreciated.

52. rebl fleur on July 11th, 2016 10:03 pm

i’ve had own all this time and recently i’ve noticed it’s been unsubscribed and i have to pay to get it back. no one requested it to be unsubscribed.

53. Dee Swenson on July 19th, 2016 2:16 pm

I’ve learned from being with Dish for along time NOT to pay for ins monthly. When I needed the ins they let me buy it right then, i had to keep it for a few months b4 I cud let it go, whichh I did, but it still saved me money from paying it every month. And when I needed it I got it?

54. ANNA on July 25th, 2016 4:51 pm

That’s a great tip but but but ? what if they change that just when I need it?

55. ANNA on July 25th, 2016 4:49 pm

I got this by accident. I was so tired of them raising the price I finally called and told her I was going to cancel my account. I just could not justify paying so much for so many channels that I wasn’t even watching. That’s when she told me about the welcome pack!

Be sure to check channel 103 the first of each month as they “give” some of the other channels for the month or a weekend. I do like Hallmark Movies & Mysteries so when this is one on the list, I record gobs of the shows for later viewing.

56. Kathy on August 16th, 2016 8:59 am

I was going to do this switch but I don’t see fox news in the line up of the welcome package.

57. J.A.Pena on August 30th, 2016 3:07 pm

I live in Puerto Rico and have the welcome package.I pay $30.00 a month with taxes. when I come to the states I call and put the package on pause and all I pay is $5.00 a month. when I get back to p.r. I call again and take it off of pause,and start paying my regular mo. payments.

58. Pat on September 28th, 2016 12:00 am

Just got it today without knowing about it. Told em I needed the best deal or I was cutting the cord. $20.48 with tax, no time element, no problem. I feel like I won today.

59. Kyle on September 28th, 2016 7:37 pm

Nice! Such a good deal.

60. Rema Howell on October 22nd, 2016 3:11 pm

I seen this site and my dish bill is so high. We rarely watch tv as it is. Like you said, there is no welcome package listed. I called and just had my package changed. I about fell out. My package which was always over 200. a month is under 40.00 now. Thanks for the greatest tip online. I am still shaky from actually having my bill lowered. uh, it is 2016 and the tip still worked. Thanks!

61. Jennifer on December 11th, 2016 3:43 am

I just found out a couple of things, so I have a major question!
    1) If you go to Dish website, they ARE now offering Welcome package for $20/month.
    2) My husband likes to watch SPIKE. Is it available on Welcome? If not, can he upgrade just a single channel like that?

62. Art on January 1st, 2017 6:17 pm

Dish Network “Welcome Pack” Numeric Channel List
    Provided by
    Gene’s Antenna Service
    updated 1/17/2014
    For Grandfathered customers only!
    Welcome Pack with locals
    – $19.99
    per month for 1 TV
    Add $7 for 2
    nd
    TV
    monthly (Prices controlled by Dish Network
    and can change at their discretion)
    Locals
    240
    Pursuit (Hunt)
    256-263 Religion
    264
    Kids & Teens

63. Meg on March 17th, 2017 10:37 am

I’ve been looking at this welcome package and when I search their site and look at the channels they offer on the welcome package it doesn’t show AMC. I the list you posted AMC is listed. Have they recently dropped AMC?

64. Jennifer on December 11th, 2016 5:33 pm

I’m REALLY excited! I had my husband call, and while we did NOT get the Welcome pack (unfortunately, some of our most watched channels are not in that pack), we did manage to get an updated receiver (worth $100) plus two new remote controls (in the past they told me it would cost us $15 each to replace) all for free, AND we will be saving $40/month! Yay!
    Now my only question: They said it would cost $100 for the “sling adapter,” so that I could watch Dish Anytime. My husband got wise (love him!) and found people selling sling adapters online for much cheaper. With this in mind, is there any problem with buying used adapters? I don’t want to squander what we just saved.

65. Chad Solberg on October 9th, 2017 8:51 pm

I bought one of those off eBay and it quit working after a week

66. Karen Randall on January 3rd, 2017 1:37 pm

This is 100% accurate, I’m literally changing my package as I type. Bill is dropping from 104/month to $37!!

67. Grandy on May 30th, 2017 8:38 am

Thank you SOOOOO much. I just followed your instructions and went from a $75 bill to $38! It helped me get a handle on my bills without losing my local channels or my DVR.

68. Colin on June 21st, 2017 6:40 pm

I am thinking of getting dish network mainly to have the horse racing and greyhound racing channels. I’m sure this channel is not included in the welcome package. My question is, can I get the welcome package immediately or do I need to be a subscriber for a while? Thanks

69. debbie on June 28th, 2017 10:46 am

today i changed my service to welcome pak. The easiest way for me was using the online chat.
    I only waited 6 seconds. it was done in less then a minute. I had been on hold on the phone for over an hour.

70. billy on July 11th, 2017 9:25 pm

I actually just switched to this package via online chat. I was trying to find out how much the early termination fee would be as I still have 12 months left on my contract. I couldn’t pay it in the 45 days they wanted it so I asked what would be the cheapest pack they had and still maintain the contract and they told me the welcome pack. My bill is going from $100 down to $35. We watch more Netflix and Hulu than we do dish and we are not sports fans so it worked for us. As soon as my contract is up I’m canceling my service as fast as possible.. Never again will I sign up for a TV service. Online services are dirt cheap!!!

71. sly scribe on August 20th, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks for the great information. I just changed my dish network account and couldn’t be more pleased.

72. Kim on September 2nd, 2017 11:57 am

I’m not currently a Dish customer but can I still get the welcome pack, or do I have to already be a customer and then request it?

73. Kyle on September 2nd, 2017 12:39 pm

You should be able to get it! After all, it is called the “Welcome” package. 🙂

74. Dianne on September 4th, 2017 9:15 pm

I just called the # you gave and got the biggest line of BS just like always! I was very courteous and guy told me they no longer offered DVR with pkg. You pay normal fee for it $15. And I was told Welcome Pkg $19.99 was mainly infomercials, not programs normally watched! I
    Then he tried to “sell” me a different pkg. And told me to go to DISH.com and compare their pkgs. I have and they’re too expensive! I’m so frustrated. I live on a budget and although I’ve downgraded dish programming my bill continues to go up. I’m paying $91 month for America Top 120.

75. Wanda Cummings on October 11th, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi,i was a customer a few years ago and I want to know if I could establish service an could be any way to pay small amount of the old an new looking forward to the payment in small amounts

76. camille on December 3rd, 2017 2:57 pm

i have had the welcome pack for several years now and the price has never changed. it is still 19.99 after probably about 8 years or longer. did not have a hd receiver when i signed up for the package so i can not upgrade to hd. i do have a netflix account for movies and a roku that i stream it on. the roku does stream hd and with my dish account i can log into my channels and get hd with the roku they also have a new channel called news on that i get my local weather on in hd.